J Wallis?

Hugh Gourley

Hi, I'm a new member...although a musician, I don't play the concertina (yet!!)..however , I swopped a mandolin for a concertina in the early 70's & have just got it out of the loft..it requires a bit of tender loving care, but I would like to know something about it. The label says...J Wallis' Patent Concertina

135 Euston Road NW London there is a '7212' on the leather under the fret work, & the same number is repeated on the insides of both faces....it is a 20 button model.....anglo (I think) different notes in & out....predominately brass reeds with some steel ones...photos can follow...Any help would be appreciated

Hugh Gourley

Edited by Hugh Gourley

Joseph Wallis sold many concertinas made by Lachenal's, as well as ones by George Jones. That serial number sounds more likely to be a Jones one, but a photograph should soon resolve who actually made it.

Many thanks Stephen...photo attached...Hugh

Okay, that appears to be a Louis Lachenal with full (but machine-cut) fretwork, a model that they seem to have built only for dealers. If the serial number is correct, it is quite an early one, and the numbered buttons would seem to suggest that it could well be, indeed it could prove a useful "marker" for the Lachenal serial number dating project, knowing that Joseph Wallis was trading at 135, Euston Road from 1867 onwards (but there may be a 1 in front of the number, that is very easily missed ?).

Joseph Wallis sold many concertinas made by Lachenal's, as well as ones by George Jones. That serial number sounds more likely to be a Jones one, but a photograph should soon resolve who actually made it.

Many thanks Stephen...photo attached...Hugh

Okay, that appears to be a Louis Lachenal with full (but machine-cut) fretwork, a model that they seem to have built only for dealers. If the serial number is correct, it is quite an early one, and the numbered buttons would seem to suggest that it could well be, indeed it could prove a useful "marker" for the Lachenal serial number dating project, knowing that Joseph Wallis was trading at 135, Euston Road from 1867 onwards (but there may be a 1 in front of the number, that is very easily missed ?).

Stephen...many thanks...your knowledge is amazing...there is definitely not a 1 in front of the serial number.... Hugh

• 8 months later...

Hi,

I'm a new member with a 20-button C-G from J Wallis serial #97159.

Anyone know if this a Lachenal? It has the "English made" reed stamp on the right hand bar. It is fast and sounds sweet.

Although versed in traditional music, I'm new to the concertina. I want to learn to play it, any suggestions for starting out?

Thanks,

ReadingRogue (Massachusetts)

Hi,

I'm a new member with a 20-button C-G from J Wallis serial #97159.

Anyone know if this a Lachenal? It has the "English made" reed stamp on the right hand bar. It is fast and sounds sweet.

Although versed in traditional music, I'm new to the concertina. I want to learn to play it, any suggestions for starting out?

Thanks,

ReadingRogue (Massachusetts)

Almost definitely a Lachenal

• 12 years later...