weakness or defect?

Hi everybody,

canI ask for some advice as a complete newcomer to the concertina scene?

I have just bought a new Elise Hayden Duet to find out if I like playing the concertina. I'm actually quite pleased with the instrument and its sound. However, there are two things of which I'm not certain if they are a weekness that I must accept because of the low price or if there is actually something wrong with it and I should send it back to the seller:

1 - one button on the right side has an airy by-sound (fffft). Probably only I will hear it, the note is clear - but still, it is there.

2 - several notes on both sides somtimes do a kind of soft squeak or hiccup every now and then, especially when the bellows is nearly closed. This can be heard.

As I said, my main question is if these issues are "normal" for an instrument of that range (then I'll get used to it) or if I should complain and ask for another one.

Thanks for any comments! Laura

Re point 2 - I would guess that it is just valve noise, and nothing to worry about. If so, the more you get used to playing  and the bolder you play, the less you will notice it.

Remember to store the instrument in the playing orientation (rather than on an end) to avoid the valves sagging.

Point 1 - possibly a pad hasn't settled in completely yet - again just play it!

Good luck

Tiposx

Edited by Tiposx