Lachenal Edeophone Tenor-treble

Polly Wilson

Can I really do this? I am thinking of selling a really fine and unusual tenor-treble. It is Lachenal # 47735, was completely restored by Wim Wakker, and is still in perfect condition. 56 metal keys, steel reeds, wood ends -- lowest note C below middle C. What makes this tenor-treble unique is that it is small ( 6-3/8 across the flats) and very lightweight (it has aluminum reed frames). It has Wheatstone rivetted action - which very few Lachenals were made with.

It has a really lovely soft voice that would be perfect to accompany a singer, and beautifully balanced chords.

More information available on request.

post-478-1112502248_thumb.jpg

post-478-1112502270_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This concertina was off on a little holiday (going out on approval, actually, but I didn't tell it that, kind of like the Larsen dog who is excited about going off to be 'tutored') and suffered some damage in transit. So it is off the market until it can be returned to full playing condition.

F.Y. I. -- Although I had it insured for full value I was informed by FedEx that because it is a "unique instrument" they only cover it for $500!! Beware of this -- I had no idea there was this loop hole, and had informed them of what was in the (very well packed) box. So, like David and Golliath, I will be slinging a wee rock (or something) in their direction and trying to get this resolved.

F.Y. I. -- Although I had it insured for full value I was informed by FedEx that because it is a "unique instrument" they only cover it for $500!! Beware of this -- I had no idea there was this loop hole, and had informed them of what was in the (very well packed) box.

While one hopes that $500 would cover the cost of the repair, I would think you might still have some legal recourse if it doesn't.

... 1) By allowing you to insure the instrument for "full value", they essentially declared that they did not consider it to fall under the "unique instrument" classification. Now that you're making a claim, it should be too late for them to change their classification.

... 2) While often used imprecisely to mean "rare", the word "unique" really has a precise meaning of "the only one of its kind", and if they're being legalistic, that's the only valid interpretation. Edeophones, even tenor-treble Edeophones, are not unique. And even if yours is slightly smaller than usual and with rivetted action, perhaps our experts here can confirm -- and might be willing to testify -- that even that is not unique.

Edited by JimLucas