Re-hosting of Anglo fingering generator

A few years ago Ransom Smith and I created a nice little fingering generator for Anglos. The original hosting site for this tool is now gone, so I've re-posted the page in a more permanent place: https://jvandonsel.github.io/fingering/fingering.html

This generator takes an ABC file, comes up with some decent fingering suggestions, and generates annotations that can be used to create a PDF in standard musical notation, with fingerings added.

If any programmers are interested in contributing to the project, I can grant access to the github repo.

-jim

Edited by Jim Van Donsel

8 hours ago, Jim Van Donsel said:

1) A few years ago Ransom Smith and I created a nice little fingering generator for Anglos. The original hosting site for this tool is now gone, so I've re-posted the page in a more permanent place: https://jvandonsel.github.io/fingering/fingering.html

2) This generator takes an ABC file, comes up with some decent fingering suggestions, and generates annotations that can be used to create a PDF in standard musical notation, with fingerings added.

3) If any programmers are interested in contributing to the project, I can grant access to the github repo.

1) Someone posted something similar on melodeon.net for a D/G melodeon a while back. It was written in Perl and I

thought I might try something similar for the 'tina (possibly by just editing the code to replace the strings in the look-up

tables with  strings suitable for the G/D 'tina. However, I couldn't get Perl to install on my machine(s), so I abandoned

the idea (Let's face it folks, I chickened out!).

2) I tried it with a tune in G. I transposed the tune to C, generated the code with fingerings, transposed back to G, and

as the 'tina is a transposing instrument, I had the fingerings for the G/D 'tina. I generated the PDF file and it looked OK.

3) Shuffles feet awkwardly, and says "Dunno 'guv - my programming skills are 15 years out of date"...

Nice idea - especially for those of us (like me) who frequently add fingering details to scores. PM with more details sent.

Roger

Hm! Prompted by Jim Van Donsel's original post, and irritated by my own  lack of moral fibre in following up on the

similar application for melodeon which I mentioned in my original response to Jim's post, I have now created a

very crude and (as yet incomplete) tabbing program for the 20-button G/D concertina.

I suspect that my approach is rather different than either Jim's or the melodeon application (which, from memory

put the tabs into the w: field of the tune). 

I have created a stand-alone program which runs on my computer, rather than remotely on a web page (I don't know

how to do that, and no longer have a web site in any case...). The (as yet incomplete) program currently is only for a

20-button G/D Anglo.

It is a simple .exe file and has to be explicitly run from within the command prompt window rather than by clicking on

an icon on the desktop. I will be looking at a way round this problemette when I have a fully functioning program.

It is a 'batch' program - that is it will process a file containing many ABC tunes. It is very 'clunky' code, but the (incomplete)

prototype version has just ~95% successfully tabbed a file containing 700+ tunes in ~1.6 seconds cpu time and, not much

more elapsed time. 95%? - it has successfully tabbed the vast majority of the notes, but some notes have not been tabbed.

This is due to some dependancy on the detailed structure of the ABC code which I can't yet quite understand. As far as I can

see, everything which has been done is correct, there are no incorrect tabbings. More work needed, but this will be very much

a 'back-burner' project...

It's not my intention to 'compete' with Jim's application, but I have been thinking about this for some time, and have

finally been prodded into action. I have created this primarily for my own use/research, but if anyone wants more details,

please ask. If enough people ask, I will post a slightly more detailed description here, and think about how to smarten it up a bit...

Roger

Edited by lachenal74693