English Concertina button only working one way

Hey all,

Fist im new to the site and concertinas.  I come from a musical background (Guitar/Keys/Violin) and have just inherited an English concertina. I have figured out the button layout and worked out a few basic melodies.

Unfortunately one of the buttons only plays on the pull and not the push, I was hoping someone may offer some advice to prevent me having an expensive repair cost.

Thanks

Stu

Take it apart, look for that note's reed on the inside, and look on the other side for a stuck valve (a strip of leather that should be floating, not wedged in), or for something stuck in the reed, which you can gently clean out with a small slip of paper.

When you take things apart, mark their orientation so you don't get things put back together turned 1/6. And be very gentle, both in loosening AND tightening!

If you are all thumbs, just pay someone to fix it! Fixing someone else's mistakes is often much more expensive than fixing the original problem.

Edited by mdarnton

If this is an old concertina there is a good chance it may be out of tune with your other instruments. If you are serious about wanting to play it you would probably be advised to get it checked over by someone with the right experience.

Hey Thanks for the replies so far.  Sorry I forgot to mention what concertina it was.  I can confirm it is a Jack By Concertina Connection as Mdarnton posted.

I have done repairs on my electric and accoustic guitars as well as cutting and fitting a new bridge on my violin so am happy to dabble in repairs.

I will open it up and have a look and see if I can find anything.