New Member And New Concertina Owner

Oh yes Stephen, I was eaten up with stupid. RB-17 top tension, all original right down to the amber buttoned tuners. Never even had a fret job. Most of the gold plating was warn off (really loved the exposed brass) and it was a very odd purple stained sunburst. The top tension Gibson didn't have the bite of a Granada or RB 4, but it had tone and warmth.

The old fellow who sold it to me also had a D-28 Herringbone of the same year (1936) and the guitar player of Shady Grove (who was an instrument dealer) bought that one. One the way home his hands were shaking, my hands were shaking and we were grinnin'.

Most of the gold plating was warn off (really loved the exposed brass) ...

Just as I love the way the gold plating is worn off the most-used buttons on my "new" 1926 amboyna Æola, they were much duller than the others when I got it a few weeks back, but now they are starting to shine again simply with playing.

... and it was a very odd purple stained sunburst.

No doubt considered very "cool" in 1936 ! B)

The top tension Gibson didn't have the bite of a Granada or RB 4, but it had tone and warmth.

I would have absolutely no problem with that. :)

The old fellow who sold it to me also had a D-28 Herringbone of the same year (1936) and the guitar player of Shady Grove (who was an instrument dealer) bought that one.  One the way home his hands were shaking, my hands were shaking and we were grinnin'.

Did you ask the old fellow if he maybe had an old mandolin stashed away somewhere, maybe a funny-shaped one with a signature on the label ? ;)

Sounds like he bought a couple of great instruments back in 1936 ! (Even if they weren't concertinas ... )

You remind me of the time Harry Minting was telling me about the dance band he had played in, and showed me a 1920's photo of himself with his Tubaphone tenor, then a '30's picture with his 1933 D-hole Maccaferri guitar (I love French gypsy jazz music).

"Gosh Harry, you had a Maccaferri !" said I.

"Oh yes, it's upstairs under the bed, would you like to see it?" he politely asked.

Sadly it was the four-string "Eddie Freeman Special" version, pity he never learnt to play a six-string ! :(

Edited by Stephen Chambers

One of Lloyd's curly masterpieces could have been lurkin' therein, no doubt. Jerry (guitarist ) had been "courting" the fellow for a long time regarding the D-28 (which can be seen in the Shady Grove poster). I was brought along to play a few tunes and make conversation (a transaction of that sort would not be rushed).

Cal (I leave his name thus) was mildly amused by my concertina playing but very interested by my banjo stylings. Him pulling out the RB-17 was a total suprise. Jerry knew he had it but had no idea he would show it to me, let me play it or offer it to me. It was offered as one musician to another with the caveat that I should play it (my beloved Wheatstone was handled in a similar fashion)...unfortunately life got involved and I handled their departure from my life poorly.

"Life is what happens while yer makin' other plans."

Edited by Mark Evans

Question for Bodhrani (I rather like that too):

When did folks start using the tuneable heads?  Back in the day, I don't recall ever running into a member of your clan sportin' such a technical beastie.  Fair enough I was mostly in an "altered state" but was payin' attention...honest! :blink:

In these parts it seems to be the rule rather than the exception.

about 1990. I've still got one collecting dust on top of the wardrobe. Seems to be the best way to play it (it was way too quiet for playing outdoors so I got one of Mr Bleazey's excellent tenor side-drums).

Chris

...unfortunately life got involved and I handled their departure from my life poorly.

"Life is what happens while yer makin' other plans."

Too true !

You remind me of what happened to my superb, one-owner-from-new, ebony-ended 1910 Æola (the one I'm playing in my 1979 Profile photo). It had never had anything done to it, except careful playing, since the day it left the factory and was still very much in tune with itself in high pitch. I've always regretted selling it when I needed the money one time ... :(

(But at least the new owner promised not to change the tuning, and now I've got my new "baby". :) )

Redemption, that's what your new "baby" is.

At least you know who has your Aeola. My instruments went to a dealer...pain.

I will hope for my redemption as regards an Aeola, would that it could be a 56 note, ambonia raised end, brown leather bellows and gold plated buttons. Saw one on ebay from California last year which looked too good to be true (bidding went out of my league very fast and I withdrew to lick my wounds). Stole my heart and I have not recovered. :wub:

Edited by Mark Evans