Wheatstone Tutor No 10

Phil_Piper

Hi

I'm new here and new to concertina anyway.

I've bought a concertina. The label reads Wheatstone.

When I dismantled it for restauration I noticed the following signs burned into the Wood of the actionplate and the redd pan blocks.

"L10" and "R10"

On the reedpans itself only L and R are burned in, the No 10 is written with a pencil.

Could this be Wheatstone Serial No 10, probably with a later replaced reedpan or at least reeds?

Best Regards from Switzerland

Philipp Muheim

post-12035-0-37321400-1451744855_thumb.jpg

post-12035-0-69968200-1451744856_thumb.jpg

post-12035-0-31277500-1451744857_thumb.jpg

post-12035-0-44206400-1451744858_thumb.jpg

post-12035-0-36747200-1451744859_thumb.jpg

post-12035-0-40710600-1451744860_thumb.jpg

post-12035-0-43647700-1451744861_thumb.jpg

post-12035-0-43141700-1451744862_thumb.jpg

Could this be Wheatstone Serial No 10, ... ?

No.

Wheatstone number 10 would have been given the Roman number X, and all those earliest models were smaller "open pallet models" (like the first one, which is my avatar photo) with no fretwork and only 24 keys.

Your concertina is typical of an inexpensive model built by Wheatstone's during their "riveted-reed" era (about 1865 to 1890) under Edward Chidley senior. The "L10" and "R10" are "batch numbers" - used to identify its component parts whilst the instrument was being made.

At this period it was common for the serial number to only be marked on the baffle, in the oval on the left-hand side of the instrument (corresponding to the maker's label oval on the right), and if that is missing the serial number may be lost completely, though sometimes it is also marked on the top edge of the frame surrounding the action board on the left-hand side (only you'll have to take the fretwork off the action board to see if it's there), or possibly elsewhere. The number will be a 5-digit one, no lower than 18,000 (the start of production for these) and anything up to (around) 21,000.

Otherwise, at this time the batch number was the last two digits of the serial number, so it may (just) be possible to identify it in the ledgers using the instrument descriptions given there, and the number 10...

Edited by Stephen Chambers

Well, then the number is lost...

thre's no clue of any number whatsoever.

The oposite (left siede) Oval ist not oval but more cross- shaped, probably the place where the number was,,,,

Thank you Stephen

Best regards

Phil

post-12035-0-04333300-1451770952_thumb.jpg

Well, then the number is lost...

thre's no clue of any number whatsoever.

Then, after working through the ledger, I'd reckon it can only be one of the following:

18110 Common May 1866

18410 Common July to September 1868

The oposite (left side) Oval ist not oval but more cross- shaped, probably the place where the number was,,,,

Then that's more like a Lachenal end, but I think Lachenal's probably made these spindle-cut (machine-made) ends for Wheatstone's anyway - they were one of Louis Lachenal's innovations...

Thank you for your work, Stephen!

Your Quote:

"Then that's more like a Lachenal end, but I think Lachenal's probably made these spindle-cut (machine-made) ends for Wheatstone's anyway - they were one of Louis Lachenal's innovations..."

I've thought of this too, however, the action levers are Wheatstone riveted ones...as far I have read in some Blogs.

... the action levers are Wheatstone riveted ones...as far I have read in some Blogs.

They're the riveted levers that Edward Chidley senior introduced to Wheatstone's when he started building their concertinas in 1865 (which that firm continued to use until after they took over Lachenal's in 1933) and they're probably the best feature of this instrument.

Basically this model is pretty much all of Edward Chidley's design, including the harmonium-style riveted reeds (seeing that he was also a harmonium maker), except for that spindle-cut (not fret-cut) "fretwork" in the ends.

How did theses spindle cutters work?

Are they similar to a plunge router bit so that you would not need to pre-drill a hole and could be made to follow a template?

Don, take a look at the machine 11 seconds into this film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuuIF6mmRLA

I imagine the Lachenal machine worked on the same principle.

Alex:

Interesting, so the spindle is fixed and the bed can only be moved within a prescribed pattern. Was the same technique used for reed pans?

No face mask or eye protection for the machine operator and then later on they are spraying polyester with just a face mask!

Don.

(Incredibly snide commentary).