Need To Borrow/rent A Loud English Concertina (Indiana)

I play with the Indianapolis Ceili Band, and once again we're heading to the Midwest Fleadh to compete in the senior ceili band competition.

In years past I've alternately taken my Irish B/C accordion or my Morse English concertina. I've found that the tunes we're playing are just too difficult and fast for me on the accordion. Since the concertina is my native instrument, I've decided to take it this year. (So far no one has noticed or cared that it's not an Anglo :-) I can play it at speed much more comfortably.

However, a ceili band needs to be loud, and the concertina is just not loud enough to hold it's own over the drums, piano, fiddles, flutes and banjo.They also would frown on me bringing a portable amplifier :-)

In the past I've had a late model Wheatstone and an older Lachenal, both of which sounded really good, but were not as loud as the Morse. That's part of the reason I got the Morse.

Does anyone have a good quality English concertina you consider to be particularly voiciferous that you would loan/rent to me? The competition is in Mid May. I'll pay shipping/insurance/rent, even let you keep my Morse as hostage.

It needs to be accurately in tune and in performance condition.

I know it's a long shot, but if there is anyone out there that might entertain the idea, I'd much appreciate it. I'll even give you a cut of the winnings if we come home victorious, which would mean you could possibly get a check from me in the sum of, oh $0 or so....

thanks!

Ed

Ed,

Over 15 years ago I met someone from up Valparaiso or South Bend-way at the Central Indiana Dulcimer meeting who had a big Wheatstone Aeola - I'll bet it was loud. Unfortunately, I don't have easy access to my records from back then, so I have no idea of the name.

You might ask Grey Larsen in Bloomington (an AC player, of course) who he can think of that plays EC around there.

Your "older Lachenal" is still keeping me entertained when I tire of anglo, btw.

Good luck, have fun,

Ken

There are concertinas which are considerably louder than the Morse ECs.

However. One of the limits of the concertina is that given a loud enough band situation, even the loudest concertinas will be essentially inaudible unless they are miked. That is just a fact of life. I was at a Catskills Irish Arts Week discussion organized by Gearoid OHallmhorain where Father Charlie Coen said he believed the dying-out of concertina playing in Ireland occurred due to the accordion's greater capacity to cut through and be heard in a dance-band, dance-hall setting, and that its renaissance in recent years owes to the advent of improved amplification technology.