For Sale: Wheatstone 48 Key English Concertina

T Harding

I should like to sell a Wheatstone 48 key English concertina, serial number 34378, c.1936.

I have little knowledge of concertinas, and have not dismantled the instrument in any way.

Metal (nickel?) buttons – one is missing. 20 notes on each side sound clearly on both push and pull, whilst 4 notes on each side (to include the missing button note) are impaired in sound on either push or pull. Rosewood fretwork. 5 bellows, which seem wholly airtight. Comes in original box with sales leaflet.

Pictures here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s17gkxy7jhy3u9v/AABR_653pbQpykm4mqemf9aHa?dl=0

Inspection welcome in Hammersmith, West London.

Price £450

With thanks.

Hello,

Thanks for getting in touch.

I have not previously dismantled this (or any other) concertina, so went online to read up on what to do.

It appears to have brass reeds, and I have posted some more pictures to Dropbox (same link) showing the action pan and the reed pan for the end bearing the serial number. I presume that the instrument is symmetrical, but if you would like me to do the same for the other end I'll be pleased to do so.

With thanks.

Thank you. A number of good websites, including this one of course, enabled me to read and think about concertina construction before I decided to remove the end plate. The six perimeter retaining screws were removed (and reinstated) in 1,4,2,5 etc fashion, and I certainly did not touch anything in the action or reed pan. The two thin screws sitting within the leather strap and the digit plate were taken out and reinstated as well.

• 2 months later...

I have just purchased this concertina and I am very pleased with it. It has been tuned to concert pitch and I have been able to deal with the non-sounding notes.

Many thanks to Tim Harding, and to Tim's friend Margaret who brought the concertina up to Glasgow.