Melodies With Harmonies

I play a few simple melodies on 20 button anglo but they seem a bit "thin" to play them in public.

Is it possible to play supporting chords at the same time as playing the melody to make them sound less amateurish?

Oh yes! The 20-button is capable of quite a lot more than most people give it credit for. You can start by playing adjacent notes to the left - these will almost always make good simple harmonies. For more volume you can play octaves.

Check out some of the YouTube videos for "Civil War Concertina" to hear 60 tunes with melodies and various types of accompaniments, many quite full, and all arranged expressly for 20-button Anglo.

Gary

Edited by gcoover

The Anglo was designed to make certain harmonies easy. For best results, learn to choose between playing along or across the rows.

Of course, a 20 button is more limited than a 30, just as a 30 is more limited than a 37, and even a 37 has some unavoidable "gaps" and compromises.

The harmonic style is hugely rewarding. Of course it takes longer to learn a new tune, but within your repertoire there is always something to be working on, improving, tidying up. New ideas, short cuts, tricks and techniques.

Search YouTube for a player who posts as "Angloconc". He's not playing a 20 button, but it shows you some of what is possible in the harmonic style.

My own boxes are 30 and 37 buttons, but I always enjoy having a go on a 20. The compromises in finding the harmonies give it a distinctive feel and sound. If nothing else harmonises, an octave below the melody always will.

"Angloconc" - hey, I know that guy! :o

Conrad, I forgot to mention earlier that there is music from some of the songs from "Civil War Concertina" posted in the "Teaching and Learning" section in these forums, and they include tablature for 20-button Anglo.

Gary

Edited by gcoover

Oh yes! The 20-button is capable of quite a lot more than most people give it credit for. You can start by playing adjacent notes to the left - these will almost always make good simple harmonies. For more volume you can play octaves.

Absolutely! That's the whole beauty of the Anglo 20-button layout and the push-pull architecture. Don't try to learn harmonic playing - just try it. It's easier than you think.

Cheers,

John