Comparing And Learning About The Three Concertina Systems

Now you can compare all three systems and learn to play them by ear at www.concertina-academy.com

Side by side are 14 video lessons on all three systems: English, Anglo and Duet concertina.

The duet is a Crane duet but the lessons can also be done at other duet systems.

Enjoy and learn.

Here is a direct link to the page containing the fourteen lesson links.

Pauline, a couple of "criticisms":

• So far, I've only looked at lesson 11, but there (so possibly also on the other lessons?) it's only on the "duet" video that one can clearly see what the fingers are doing. I think it should be important to see, as well as hear what's happening in all of the videos. Otherwise, why bother differentiating even between the English and the anglo?
  • Though commonly done, I think it's wrong for you to equate all duets as if they were a single system.
    • Their fingering patterns are quite different, and those differences can be important, even -- I might even say especially -- in the very early learning stages represented by these videos. A beginner with a Maccann, Hayden, or Jeffries duet will likely only be confused by watching the fingers of your "duet" player.
    • The unqualified name "duet" was consistently used by Wheatstone to refer only to what is otherwise known as the Maccann system (Wheatstone never used the Maccann name, claiming they had invented that layout first), and it is still so used by many "Maccann" players. So I think it's misleading and potentially confusing to use a Crane/Triumph as your only "duet" without noting that there are other kinds, including one (the "Maccann") to which that name more commonly applies.

Hello Pauline - I think this is a great idea but I must admit I agree with Jim regarding the treatment of all duets as a single system.

Although basic principles apply across the board, particularly in the case of playing by ear I think it might be more helpful to consider each duet layout as a separate "system" (although whether it's then worth doing specific Jeffries duet videos is anybody's guess :lol: ) . In my experience of playing the Maccann and Jeffries layouts, they are instruments of very distinct character, and as different from one another as they are from the anglo.

The unqualified name "duet" was consistently used by Wheatstone to refer only to what is otherwise known as the Maccann system (Wheatstone never used the Maccann name, claiming they had invented that layout first), and it is still so used by many "Maccann" players. So I think it's misleading and potentially confusing to use a Crane/Triumph as your only "duet" without noting that there are other kinds, including one (the "Maccann") to which that name more commonly applies.

Ironic, though, isn't it, that the Crane player's name is Paul McCann.