jeffries carcass on ebay

John D

Ebay #121020426734, the actual listing is in this one

It's located about 20 miles north of me and I'm trying to get the guy to meet me so I can see it in person .. a friend commented on the apparent use of "Gorilla Glue" by someone to repair it at some point, and I can't comprehend why anyone would have dug those gouges in the reedpan .. and one row of metal buttons?

Edited by John D

Ebay #121020426734, the actual listing is in this one

It's located about 20 miles north of me and I'm trying to get the guy to meet me so I can see it in person .. a friend commented on the apparent use of "Gorilla Glue" by someone to repair it at some point, and I can't comprehend why anyone would have dug those gouges in the reedpan .. and one row of metal buttons?

hmm .. now shows ended on the main listing and sold on the buy-it-now .. I have a hard time believing that someone would give $5K for it, but what do I know? Are the reeds and shoes and levers/posts worth $5K?

Edited by John D

John

I'm puzzled as to why you think this is just a carcase. As far as I can see from the 2 listings and copious photographs, all the components are there - not just the reeds, shoes and action but also the fretwork ends and the bellows as well. I agree, it's a restoration project (!) but the worst aspect looks to be the cracks in the action plate on both ends - and they are fixable.

With fully restored 39 button Jeffries going for up to £6,000 and the recent unrestored 30 button selling for £4,420 at Bonhams, I's say that £3,150 ($5,000 at current exchange rates) plus restoration costs isn't dirt cheap, but certainly isn't over the top.

I couldn't see the gouges in the reedpan you talked about - where were they?

Alex West

John

I'm puzzled as to why you think this is just a carcase. As far as I can see from the 2 listings and copious photographs, all the components are there - not just the reeds, shoes and action but also the fretwork ends and the bellows as well. I agree, it's a restoration project (!) but the worst aspect looks to be the cracks in the action plate on both ends - and they are fixable.

With fully restored 39 button Jeffries going for up to £6,000 and the recent unrestored 30 button selling for £4,420 at Bonhams, I's say that £3,150 ($5,000 at current exchange rates) plus restoration costs isn't dirt cheap, but certainly isn't over the top.

I couldn't see the gouges in the reedpan you talked about - where were they?

Alex West

heh .. I guess I don't have an appreciation for what can be done in the way of restoration, and from what I've read (mostly here) there's no guarantee that what you end up with will be the 'tina of your dreams :)

I was referring to areas adjacent to the valves, most obvious in the center of the right side (if I recall correctly) .. of course it's hard to really tell from pictures, I wish I had gotten a peek before it went away .. almost looks like a bit of dry-rot.