Re-setting Reeds

I need to re-set an accordian-style reed that is sitting slightly too high above the reed plate. I went through all the repair information links given here and couldn't find anything. Where else could I go to find out how to do this?

Easy to do, also easy to do wrong!

I could show you how, but find it hard to describe, which is probably why it isn't in the existing repair archive.

What make of concertina are we looking at?

Also is it a pull or push note?

This info will help as there are a number of different ways that reed plates have been fitted by different makers, some allowing for easier re-voicing than others.

It is a Stagi 15-Ln, (30 buttons) brand new. What's happening is that there is a delay in the reponse of seven reeds. They all occur on the left side for what that's worth.

Some do it on the push and some on the pull. Some have a delay I can live with, but two of them are bad enough to make it impossible to play properly, and they are ones that are towards the center and used alot. I looked inside and the worst one (which is a pull) is obviously to high above the frame. With the others it is hard to tell as I don't know much about all this yet. But I am ready and willing to tackle this if you are able to show me how. Thanks!

Edited by Lida

Lida,

The first thing I would do would be to examine the valves, as they are more commonly the cause of the delay you describe. Is the valve flap (on the same side as the slow reed) sprung up above the reed frame, or does it lie flat on it ? The valve should be a little "floppy" rather than stiff.

It is much preferable to try this first, as changing the "set" of the reed (which involves bending it) changes the pitch somewhat (though I don't suppose that the instrument has been fine-tuned anyway).

IMHO one reed is worth having a go yourself; 7 reeds sounds to me like a job for a repairer as there may be a not so obvious reason for the voicing being the way it is.

Did you say it is brand new? I would be looking to the retailer for a replacement or a repair under warranty.

Not good enough, Mr Stagi, not good at all.... :angry:

Edited by malcolm clapp