Questions on fingering technique

charviol

I just got an Anglo concertina a couple of days ago (I just got an EC as well the following day, but more about that later), and it's fun to get to know, play, etc. I have The Anglo Concertina Demystified, so I have a good tutor to get me started. I do have a question though. Let's say you're on the C row, on the middle C/D button, and you are playing C and D, one after the other, when playing the C major scale. Do you keep the finger depressing the button while you play C and then D with the bellows change, or do you lift up the finger and re-depress the button when, having played C, you now play D on the pull? I know both are possible, but I wanted to know if there is a preferred technique I need to be aware of there. Thanks!

Edited by charviol

Do you keep the finger depressing the button while you play C and then D with the bellows change, or do you lift up the finger and re-depress the button when, having played C, you now play D on the pull?

Charviol,

To answer your question directly, I keep the button pressed for both notes. The change of bellows direction separates them sufficiently.

I might release the button and press it again if I wanted a very staccato effect, or if the press C was the end of one phrase and the draw D the start of another, and I wanted to enpohasise this.

Bellows work is very important on the Anglo. You have to alternate very briskly and cleanly between press and draw, and to help you with this, Anglos usually have somewhat thicker, stiffer bellows than Englishes or Duets. Also, you have to adjust the handstraps so that there's no "slop" between your hands and the instrument - the hand movement must be transmitted immediately to the bellows.

To play very legato, it is sometimes better, as Mike suggests, to find an alternative button for one of the notes, so that both are in the same bellows direction. But that's advanced stuff!

Cheers,

John

I totally disagree. I have 1/2"-1" of slop between my hands and the hand rests.

Plenty of slop is good.

Also, keeping a button down or lifting it and putting it down again between notes create different musical effects and you need to choose between them to fit what you are playing at the time.

Chris

I totally disagree. I have 1/2"-1" of slop between my hands and the hand rests.

David,

Do you really mean that when you change bellows direction, your hands travel 1/2" to 1" before the bellows follow?

Or are you talking about the static fit of the knuckles between handrest and strap? I don't advocate tight handstraps either, but I brace the heel of my hand against the end of the tina and the back of my hand against the strap, so there's still no slop. The bellows follow my hands without a time-lag.

Cheers,

John