Improving a Rochelle.

I know that some makers will fine-tune the cheaper models they sell, but the Rochelle seems to have the reputation of being pretty decent to begin with. What are the chances that a Rochelle could be improved by adjusting and setup and the like?

Would this be better posted in the repair section?

I know that some makers will fine-tune the cheaper models they sell, but the Rochelle seems to have the reputation of being pretty decent to begin with. What are the chances that a Rochelle could be improved by adjusting and setup and the like?

Would this be better posted in the repair section?

I haven't (and haven't needed to) touch the innards, but found that making slightly taller handrests and stiffer straps improved the playability for me.

I haven't (and haven't needed to) touch the innards, but found that making slightly taller handrests and stiffer straps improved the playability for me.

The only time I got my hands on a Rochelle, the first thing I noticed was the thin, wobbly straps with their sharp edges. Good, thick, stiff, comfortable straps are not that expensive (e.g. from David Leese), and are easy to fit.

Another serious issue with the Rochelle is the small diameter of the air-valve. This would need minor surgery, with a larger pad (also available from David Leese).

But stiffer straps will be a great improvement for a start.

Cheers,

John

The only time I got my hands on a Rochelle, the first thing I noticed was the thin, wobbly straps with their sharp edges. Good, thick, stiff, comfortable straps are not that expensive (e.g. from David Leese), and are easy to fit.

Another serious issue with the Rochelle is the small diameter of the air-valve. This would need minor surgery, with a larger pad (also available from David Leese).

But stiffer straps will be a great improvement for a start.

Cheers,

John

Hmmm, hadn't thought of that.

You've nailed it, John.

Took the words right out of my finger tips.

I play my Rochelle every day and love it,

but stiffer straps and a larger gasper

would be a substantial improvement.

I'm rather amazed that I haven't yet done both.

The other improvement is to re-sew the strap attachments

on the carrying case.

Or more accurately the storage bag.

Higher-quality concertinas are produced, of course,

but only by building them from the ground upwards.

I don't think the Rochelle could be improved significantly

beyond these simple changes.

Nor does it need to be.

I still smile every time I pick mine up!

I haven't had too much to complain about really with the Rochelle. I *did* ask the folks at the Button Box today when I visited them whether they would recommend or perform any improvements. They basically said there isn't anything they'd recommend, as they play quite well (I agree, though it takes alot more air to get the highest and lowest reeds on my rental to sound than it does the middle tones.) Though I found all the other 'tinas i tried had much more generous air buttons.

Anyway, we also talked about the Stagis, and how they are SO bad that the only reason they can sell them there and stand behind them is that they service them first, and that is also why they cost a good deal more than the Rochelles. I didn't much like the feel of the Stagi anyway-the hand rest and buttons are awkwardly placed on the ends, it's strange. And I happen to think they're ugly. I can handle the black laquer look of the Rochelle better.

I played every other 30 button anglo they had on the shelf too, for some time, to get a feel and to see why the Rochelle has the rep it has.

I really like the Morse Céilí. Nice and light, mellow sounding but clear, great action--quick with a short light button feel-even I felt nimble on this thing. Pretty too. I like the black with black bellows and black buttons and the red bushings look really great against all that black. I tried one of the g/d models too, that was cool.

They have a Thomas that is the loudest thing i have ever heard. It hurt my ears, but then, I'm a delicate flower. It was heavy, too, but not nearly so as the Rochelle.

The Wheatstone Linota was my fave not considering price. good balance of mellow and bright, just overall a very comfy 'tina to play. But at $9600 it ain't happenin'. I did linger on this one.

The Geuns-Wakker was very nice too. Probably my third fave. Longer button throw, "heavier" buttons and heavier overall.

There was a 45 button Jeffries that just confused me, so i put it down...it was $10,000+ anyway, so, no.

Comparing them all to the Rochelle--the Rochelle sounds muffled. And the Stagi even more so. The Rochelle is just amazing for it's price, is one thing I really took away from all this testing. And that I need to start saving some cash.

sorry to go on and on. I just enjoyed it so much I had to spout it out! :D

Yes, the Rochelle is really an entry level box. I bought mine from new (after much research), knowing that I would lose money when I sold it, but unwilling to lay out the sums of money to get a mid-range box when I had no idea whether I'd get on with it.

But it did the job. I have since sold it to another beginner, no regrets.

I did discuss improvements with Wim Wakker, in particular enlarging the air valve. This is probably a modification beyond the scope of most beginners, unfamilar with the mechanics as well as the playing. Involved fitting new pad and increasing spring pressure as well as opening the hole without getting bits of wood everywhere...

I didn't do it - instead my playing style evolved to cross rows more, to balance air use.

Later Rochelles have a slightly bigger air valve and better reeds (not retro-fittable - I think they're bigger), as far as I'm aware. But I think that's it.

Edited by malcolmbebb