playing in G on a 20 key

halimium

OK a beginner question, would you generally use the top rows and add the F# notes from the G rows as required, or the G rows to play songs in G ?

I just ask because I find using the top rows easier so far.

Is there some hard and fast rule, or is it a case of just find ones own way with things?

thx.

Edit: a 20 key anglo I mean to say.

Edited by halimium

OK a beginner question, would you generally use the top rows and add the F# notes from the G rows as required, or the G rows to play songs in G ?

I just ask because I find using the top rows easier so far.

Is there some hard and fast rule, or is it a case of just find ones own way with things?

thx.

Edit: a 20 key anglo I mean to say.

Halimium,

IMO there's no need to make it more complicated than it is!

You've obviously got the "doh-re-mi-fa-so-la-ti-do" for the key of C mapped to "press-draw-press-draw-press-draw-draw-press" on the outer row. The "doh-re-mi..." mapping for the key of G is the same "press-draw-press..." sequence on the inner row. So the feel of a tune will be the same, whether you play it in C or G on the row of the same name. And that includes the tonic (on the press), subdominant and dominant-seventh (both on the draw) chords, which are all you need to harmonise simple tunes.

The time to think about taking notes from the other row is when you need a more sophisticated chord that hasn't got all of its notes in the same bellows direction in the row you're playing on. Or when you get to the extreme ends of the range of the Anglo, and "run off the end" of your current row!

You find the top row easier - is this because you have to bend your fingers in more to get the lower row buttons? If so, the inner (or lower) row will get easier with practice!

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

John

(Edited for typo!)

Edited by Anglo-Irishman

Halimium,

IMO there's no need to make it more complicated than it is!

You've obviously got the "doh-re-mi-fa-so-la-ti-do" for the key of C mapped to "press-draw-press-draw-press-draw-draw-press" on the outer row. The "doh-re-mi..." mapping for the key of G is the same "press-draw-press..." sequence on the inner row. So the feel of a tune will be the same, whether you play it in C or G on the row of the same name. And that includes the tonic (on the press), subdominant and dominant-seventh (both on the draw) chords, which are all you need to harmonise simple tunes.

The time to think about taking notes from the other row is when you need a more sophisticated chord that hasn't got all of its notes in the same bellows direction in the row you're playing on. Or when you get to the extreme ends of the range of the Anglo, and "run off the end" of your current row!

You find the top row easier - is this because you have to bend your fingers in more to get the lower row buttons? If so, the inner (or lower) row will get easier with practice!

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

John

(Edited for typo!)

Thanks; yes I see now, the only way to make an f triad chord with the left hand is to use the 2 rows together.