Concertina Players in Japan

As a result of a recent video we put up on Youtube I got a note from a Japanese enthusiast who is wondering if Stagi is good to start and ( I siad it seems good for a beginner and should resell if he upgrades) also for some contacts in Tokyo. I'd welcome a Personla message so I can let him know. I also recommended conc.net.

I notice Jermey Hague has an intesting piece in the latest ICA mag so I'll recommend the web page too.

There's a huge community of musicians playing irish music in Japan. Here's a nice concertinist...

Your Japanese enthusiast friend might want to contact the uploader of this video for more information, but there's a few Japanese musicians lurking around, they might be able to help.

PS: I'm crazy about Japanese women, that's why I know about that stuff ;-)

• 4 weeks later...

to the OP: you might also advise the person to check in with custys. pat o'connor of custys has a lovely wife who is from japan, and he has done mini-tours in japan with eoin o'neill, whose own lovely wife is also from japan, and plays concertina into the bargain. custys maintains a shopping inventory and site that is in japanese, specifically for the japan itm folks. the custys gang would have plenty of tips for the person needing contacts or intel.....

PS: I'm crazy about Japanese women, that's why I know about that stuff ;-)

"Full of Eye Riche woman" that's why u liked the video tho I am not sure if Dirge can clarify a bit how the Isle of Man (and its Doxies) have been moved to NZ... although it could be an Irish Hen Party meeting in the Japanese quarter of Ki(l)bu®n

February 6, Rivendell Waltz of the Isle of Man Doki (Sun)! Music festival full of Eye Riche woman! Kibun shop Nishiogikubo hen winter ~

(Courtesy Googley translation_)

I must say, on the music front, the various Irish Japanese performances which Leo comes up with seem to be rather better than this somewhat experimental piece.

I know this is a whistle but more flavour and still in Rivendell:

Irish:

Japanese comment"Celtic whistle player Hatao playing a "reel", dance music of Ireland on Low D whistle. Peter Damasheku guitar accompaniment.

As experts in Celtic music from Ireland, and Scotland, we are selling performance, lessons, flute and books.

Mike - maybe yr contact already knows but here is Hatao's home page:

http://www.irishflute.info/

Lucky Japanese if Noel Kenny is living there.He used to play in Matt Molloys with Seamas Henihin and Noel O Grady. Believe it or not I used to organise my weekends in Westport around their Session. It was great great music and even better crack every Monday night for years. They were very tight and traditional without being rigid.Noel O Grady is a wonderful bouzuki player who plays in Beginish and Seamas has a few CDs. They played in a rhythm from another age.I do not know of a CD of his but people should hear Noel Kenny as he is definitely one of the greatest.

"Full of Eye Riche woman" that's why u liked the video tho I am not sure if Dirge can clarify a bit how the Isle of Man (and its Doxies) have been moved to NZ... although it could be an Irish Hen Party meeting in the Japanese quarter of Ki(l)bu®n

Eh? You what?

Lucky Japanese if Noel Kenny is living there.He used to play in Matt Molloys with Seamas Henihin and Noel O Grady. Believe it or not I used to organise my weekends in Westport around their Session. It was great great music and even better crack every Monday night for years. They were very tight and traditional without being rigid.Noel O Grady is a wonderful bouzuki player who plays in Beginish and Seamas has a few CDs. They played in a rhythm from another age.I do not know of a CD of his but people should hear Noel Kenny as he is definitely one of the greatest.

I have them on a couple of tracks CD from the Mayo Hospice . Great stuff I used to play there too. Agree!