Question on Bertram Levy's new book

mthatcher61

On the first page of study 2 "Shooting Creek" in Bertram's new book, specifically in measure 2 there is a two note "couplet as indicated by the slur, then the next three notes as another group". I know this would be a simple change in direction of the bow if I was playing it on a fiddle. But by direction in the tutor it is not a change in direction of the bellows. How do I accomplish these two slurs?

Thanks

On the first page of study 2 "Shooting Creek" in Bertram's new book, specifically in measure 2 there is a two note "couplet as indicated by the slur, then the next three notes as another group". I know this would be a simple change in direction of the bow if I was playing it on a fiddle. But by direction in the tutor it is not a change in direction of the bellows. How do I accomplish these two slurs?

Thanks

Hi Mark

Sorry I was on tour in Oregon and just saw your question. It is an excellent question. One of the purposes of this exercise is to learn to internally phrase notes to create a swing while playing the bellows in the same direction

The phrasing is done with the attack of the fingers not the bellow. One could play each of the notes A B A G F F G separately with space (silence) between each note in a staccato form but that would not be the phrasing of the tune. Alternatively one could play them connected in a legato fashion. More accurately however, the notes are grouped in small phrases. The way to accomplish this is to practice the three miniphrases separately. First play the first two notes A B as a single phrase by not lifting the finger briskly off the A (legato). Then stop. Do this five times. Then play the next three A G F as a single phrase in the same legato fashion. Stop. Do this five times. Finally do the last miniphrase F G.

Then assemble the measure in time.

In the later chapters the double stop will be introduced to help define these phrases which replicates the fiddle that double stops the A’ s played on the E string in the first two phrases with the open A on the second string.

Again sorry I didn’t answer sooner. If you write me on info@bertramlevy.com I check that every day. Also the tune is on my web site to listen to. Finally if this still is not clear, write me and we will set up a skype time and sort it out in vivo

Great question Thanks

Bertram