Square Herrington 30 button C/G hybrid for sale

Jim Besser

+++ SOLD +++ Thanks for your interest, folks.

I'm selling my trusty old Herrington, which gets very little use these days.

It's about 13-14 years old, I think; I bought it new from Harold and used it for about 6 years before relegating it to backup service.

It's a standard Wheatstone C/G layout with one change: a c# in both directions, first button, top row, right side.

Condition: generally very good. It's seen a lot of use, and there are some minor dings, scratches and wear marks, but nothing dramatic. The accordion style bellows are in great shape.

Action is pretty good for a hybrid. Sound: it's loud, easily heard in Irish sessions or on the Morris dance battlefields. The tone is a little more accordion-like than some of the newer hybrids, but it has served me well both as a Morris box and an instrument for contra dances. I've also used it in my Civil War band; the square shape and nice woodwork seem so 19th Century.

It's in tune, but it could probably use a general tune-up from Harold, who is just about the nicest concertina builder in the world.

And, let me repeat: it's square; it looks cool; it attracts attention; it's fun to play. It's a real workhorse instrument that should last a lifetime.

I'm selling it with Harold's once-nice cherry wood case. Alas, the case is beat up. It has a no-skid strip on the top (I used to play Morris with a foot propped up on the case, and hated it when I slipped). The single latch was replaced by double latches, since I'm paranoid about accidental openings. It's now sort of ugly, but fully functional.

I"m asking $1600 US, and, unfortunately, am not equipped for shipping to exotic locales. So U.S. sales only. If you're anywhere near the Washington, DC area, I invite you to stop by and give it a squeeze.

If interested, PM me or email direct: concertinist@gmail.com.

post-179-0-35300600-1331089934_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jim Besser