Song Accompaniment On An Anglo

Rhomylly

Hi all,

As I am rapidly running out of lap space at 4 months' pregnant, re-attempting the guitar is not really an option at this time.

Does anyone use the anglo for irish/English/American folk song accompaniment?

And if so...how?

I've just started applying the very basic advice John Roberts gave me, which is to keep the chords very simple- open fifths is what he does most of the time. I've figured out C-F-G on my C-G anglo, and so far have had fun with Wild Mountain Thyme(which also has an Am the way I play it), Shenandoah, and Roll On. I hope to increase my knowledge of chords as I go. Good luck!

And how lucky this baby is to have the music so close to her/his ear! I'm sure you're already singing to him/her- keep it up!

Blessings,

Allison

Well, you sure can't go wrong with advice from John Roberts, that's for sure!

so, when determining chords, do you find a copy of the song with them part of the notation, or do you wing it? and if you wing it, how do you know what chord to play when?

Kurt Braun has just alerted to me to this query and thinks that our 4 part article which began in the latest ICA publication addresses a lot of the issues. It does, but this is a huge area which can hardly be dealt with in the kind of snippets that occur in forums like this. If you would really like to go into detailed discussion feel free to contact me personally. I shall be away for the next two weeks at the Sidmouth and Dartmoor festivals, but after that I have some holiday left and can engage in discussion.

A very valuable article could be written on this topic.

Best wishes,

Roger Digby

Thanks, Roger! It sounds as though I'm going to have to give in and subscribe to the ICA, just as soon as I have any money :lol: . Meanwhile, Rhomylly, I will attempt to continue the discussion.

First of all, I started out as a guitar playing teenager. I learned chords and strums, and crooned along to Judy Collins, Joan Baez, folks like them. I have the additional advantage of a classical music education from a conservatory. So I "get" music in a way that you may not.

Basically, most of the tune books I use have the chord names written above the music, just the letter name but that's enough for me to get started. Because I "get" music, I can often figure out the root/fifth of the chord easily enough. There's a related discussion here where Jim Lucas has kindly posted a chord chart that might help.

If the music doesn't have the chord names written in, or if I'm trying to figure it out by ear, that's where my training comes in. It really helps to have played guitar for 30 + years, as badly as I still do! I can usually "hear" the chord in my head and figure it out eventually. I'm still a newbie at this instrument, and I'm just discovering alternate buttons that push instead of pull or vice versa. So it's been slow going, but I'm looking forward to doing more of it this fall - I'm going to experiment with my students at school, who are excited about my new obsession and will be willing to give it a try (let's hope!).

Does this help? I might be able to come up with some kind of simple chord chart for the songs I'm doing now, but your best bet is to just plunge in and try!

Good luck- and keep that baby dancing to the music! :D

There's a related discussion here where Jim Lucas has kindly posted a chord chart that might help.

Actually, it was my good friend Chris Timson who posted that. :)

Meanwhile, Howard Mitchell gave a link to some chord charts on his web site in this thread. And in a quick wry-post (yes, I know it's a bad pun, and I'm proud of it! ;) ) I gave a correction to the one error I found.

If you're at the "elementary" stage where you don't know what a 6th chord is, and barely recognize a 7th chord, don't worry. Play the notes indicated (regular chord notes plus the 6th or 7th, but not both) and listen to the result. Then keep that sound in mind when you're having trouble finding the "right" chord. Maybe a 6th or 7th chord will fit. If you start using the 6ths and 7ths all the time, I'll "accuse" you of playing jazz. :P

Oh no, anything but playing jazz!!!!!!

Thanks for the resources everyone. I, too, will subscribe to the ICA newsletter as soon as I have available $$$ (we're buying a house in 2 weeks. 'nuff said)

Does anyone know if this topic is covered in the old C&S issues? I do have the CD of that...