Unusual New Model tenor-treble for sale

david robertson

Here's one you don't see every day - a 56-button tenor-treble (plus duck-call and whistle), but fitted with duet-type hand-straps rather than the usual thumb-straps. I have no idea why it was made this way, but this is certainly how it left the factory. In fact, when I bought it, it had been rather crudely retro-fitted with thumb-straps. In the interests of originality, I have restored Mr Lachenal's original configuration, though I must admit, it would not suit anyone with unduly short fingers. My own average-length chipolatas have no trouble reaching the top end of the keyboard, but if you find you can't get on with the handstraps, I will gladly fit thumb-straps (neatly this time) at no extra cost.

In spite of the unusual strap arrangements, everything about the instrument suggests quality: the 'stretched hexagon' shape, the exceptionally ornate raised ends, and above all, a stonking set of reeds - very bright, fast, and, like most metal-ended New Models, frighteningly loud.

Comprehensive restoration has included new pads, straps and bushes, re-finishing of the woodwork, and tuning to concert pitch. It comes complete with a made-to-measure fitted mahogany case, including lock and key.

I'm looking for offers in the region of £2750 (trade-ins considered) with a donation to Cnet if sold here. Please send me a PM if there's anything else I can tell you, or if you'd like to visit Norwich to try it out.