An Interview with Frederic Paris

Yes, thanks for posting that Gary. Frederic Paris has been one of the central figures in French traditional music for as long as I've been interested in it - it's always interesting to hear what he's got to say for himself.

And having given him a roof for the night after La Chavannee played in Stockport many years ago, I can also say that he's a thoroughly nice bloke.

I'd love to hear a discussion between him & Martin Carthy on the past, present and future of traditional music in the modern world - they'd have some fascinating thoughts to offer and debate between them as they both think and care deeply about the subject.

Yes, thanks for posting that Gary. Frederic Paris has been one of the central figures in French traditional music for as long as I've been interested in it - it's always interesting to hear what he's got to say for himself.

And having given him a roof for the night after La Chavannee played in Stockport many years ago, I can also say that he's a thoroughly nice bloke.

I'd love to hear a discussion between him & Martin Carthy on the past, present and future of traditional music in the modern world - they'd have some fascinating thoughts to offer and debate between them as they both think and care deeply about the subject.

That would be amazing. I think about that kind of issue a lot, too. I think if I'd actually been conversing with him (rather than e-mail) I would have pursued it more. For example, bringing in a bass player and taking on the cittern himself (a rhythm section) really made Chavanee sound more modern. But I don't get any sense that Paris is drifting from his traditional devotion, and you don't have to choose modern or traditional. It's just an interesting dynamic.