Newbie seeking hint for "home buttons" on an EC 48

StephenTx

Hello, I have just started playing (if that is what one would call "Ode to Joy" :-)... I feel like my fingers are all over the place with no "home" buttons so to speak for orientation sas to where they are placed. You know like the computer that has the raised areas on the "f" and "j" keeps. I know the little finger rest is intended to do this....but I'm feeling like (at this stage) anyway some tactile method to feel where I am would be very useful. BTW what home keys do you tend to use for your fingers. I tried putting some stick double sided foam but that quickly fell off. I would reall appreciate your thoughts and suggestions

Thank you Stephen

When I was just starting I found that I needed the instrument to be stable so that the columns of buttons stayed in predictable positions. I also tended to keep one finger on each hand touching a key (not depressing it, just touching to have the home feeling you ask about). I think it was the g on the left hand (with an index finger) and the f# on the right (ring finger). Now that I'm more comfortable with the keyboard I've relaxed and don't use the contact as much (even the little finger rest on the left hand sometimes gets released).

Rachel Hall suggested in a class I took with her that you find the first note and look to make sure you are not off by a row (giving a note a fifth off) before you start playing.

When I was just starting I found that I needed the instrument to be stable so that the columns of buttons stayed in predictable positions. I also tended to keep one finger on each hand touching a key (not depressing it, just touching to have the home feeling you ask about). I think it was the g on the left hand (with an index finger) and the f# on the right (ring finger). Now that I'm more comfortable with the keyboard I've relaxed and don't use the contact as much (even the little finger rest on the left hand sometimes gets released).

Rachel Hall suggested in a class I took with her that you find the first note and look to make sure you are not off by a row (giving a note a fifth off) before you start playing.

I agree, when you start try to always have at least one finger on each side resting on a button, like always having 3 points of contact when climbing. Then you can walk your fingers up and down the buttons.

Start with thirds (walking up and down the centre 2 rows of buttons), first on one side, than the other.

Then try scales (in C) walking up and down the centre rows with 2 fingers. Never move a finger off a button completely until the other finger is placed.

Eventually you will be comfortable with where things are and will be able to move around more easily and make jumps to the right buton.

Jim Lucas wrote on the topic of "Concertina Orienteering" several years ago. Unfortunately I do not know how to post a link to it. I will find it again with the search function and bump it up to the present time.

Jim Lucas wrote on the topic of "Concertina Orienteering" several years ago. Unfortunately I do not know how to post a link to it. I will find it again with the search function and bump it up to the present time.

Hi Mary B

To the right of the name of the member posting in the forum is a number. Click on it and a small window opens with the address of the post suitable for copy/paste into a reply. The results looks like this:

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=1020&view=findpost&p=9647

Thanks

Leo :)