Opinions needed

Am I nuts for even considering playing both an Anglo and a Duet?

I'm going to disagree with my many fine colleagues and say... No, you're not nuts!

Many people have difficulty trying to learn two things at once... or at least two things that they feel are too similar to keep separate in their minds. (Primary schools certainly aren't organized around a philosophy that you have to choose whether to learn arithmetic or reading first, then get very good at the one before trying the other. On the other hand, it's common practice to discourage folks from trying to learn two foreign languages simultaneously.)

If you can afford to own both a fine anglo and a fine duet at the same time -- even if only temporarily, -- you should do that, and work on both. Even if you eventually (or quickly, for that matter) decide to concentrate on only one of the two, how will you figure out which is the "best" one for you if you don't try to work with both at the same time?

And there is even the possibility that you are one of those rare people who will be comfortable -- even enthusiastic? -- continuing with both. (Also, I don't think multi-system players are as rare as is often claimed.)

My own main squeeze is the English, but I also play some on the Crane duet and the anglo. Not nearly as much (so far) as on the English, but I won't lay them aside, either. Why not? One reason, though not the only one, is that working with the other systems continually gives me ideas for things to try on my English (as well as on each other), ideas that I doubt would have occurred to me if I confined myself to only one system.

You already have a superb anglo. And right now there's an apparently excellent 72-button Maccann duet for sale in the Buy and Sell subforum. 5000 US dollars isn't peanuts, and the size and wieght will be a marked contrast to your Edgley, but with it you most certainly wouldn't find yourself experiencing the same limitations as with the Elise or your earlier Maccann. (By the way, I have no personal interest whatever in the sale of that instrument, unless you count the fact that if I had the money, I would be interested in buying it. ;))

Worth considering, I think. Or if you find that's more than you can handle (of size or money) for giving the Maccann another try, contact reputable dealers and restorers (if you want personal recommendations, PM me) to see if they have in stock anything more appropriate for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Good Evening to all

I just returned from an extended visit with family 450 miles away. I was able to keep track of all the posts but was unable to post replies. Again thank you to all that responded it really helped me get through the acute attack of COAD.

I did play a bit while I was gone. I enjoyed playing Midnight on the Water along with family and friends and JODY'S CD. What fun.

I have decided to stay focused on the Anglo. I just registered for the MID WEST Noel Hill Camp in KY today. Hope to see some of you there. Thanks again.

Lorie Tracey