Title Needed for This Polka

Mix O'Lydian

Can anyone tell me the title of this polka, please?

The ABC code is posted below

(You can paste the ABC text into the Tune-O-Tron Convert-A-Matic and submit it to get the PDF and midi).

Thanks in anticipation of any assistance.

X: 1

T: Polka

M: 2/4

L: 1/8

K: D

|:A>G FA|d/c/d/e/ d d|cd ec|d/c/d/e/ ff|

A>G FA|d/c/d/e/ d d|cc BB|B2 A2:|

|:g>a ge|f>g fd|e>f ec|d/c/d/e/ fd|

g>a ge|f>g fd|e>f ec|d2 d2:|

Thanks to the co-operative efforts of several members of session.org (where the ABC code was also posted) I now have the title of the tune, which turns out to be Danish in origin.

It's called: "Bal I Sønderho" - roughly translated as "Dance in Sønderho"

The dance: "Sønderhoning" associated with the tune comes from a small island called Fanø off the west coast of Denmark.

Historically, the main occupation of the locals was fishing and sea trading. The dance is supposed to suggest a ship's rising and falling movement across the sea.

Thanks to the co-operative efforts of several members of session.org (where the ABC code was also posted) I now have the title of the tune, which turns out to be Danish in origin.

It's called: "Bal I Sønderho" - roughly translated as "Dance in Sønderho"

Aha! I thought it sounded somewhat familiar when I tried to play it from the notes, but the music you gave had it labeled as a polka, so when I read it I was playing it much too fast, and that was enough to throw me off.

Couldn't have given it a name, anyway. Scandinavians don't generally make a big deal of naming their tunes like children or pets. If you ask, they might say, "Oh, that's a polka from Lars-Erik Jensn" or "that's a totakt [two-step?] from [the town of] Gilleleje," but otherwise they just play them. In fact, there's a well known song to one of the popular Sønderhoning tunes, but I've yet to hear anyone call the dance tune by the name of the song.

Here'a link to a YouTube of the dance & tune:

Thanks for that.

I know the musicians in that one.

And it shows clearly that in its native environment the tune is not a polka, though it could certainly be used as one if played at polka speed.