Nice looking Bb/F on eBay!

Ptarmigan

Dick

I'm not so sure this is a Bb/F.

When I tried to play the same notes as the vendor on his Youtube video and transposed them to match a "typical" Jeffries note layout, I reckon this sounds more like an Ab/Eb. Difficult to tell whether it's in concert pitch but it might be.

There are a few unusual characteristics to it for a typical pre-1900 C Jeffries (with reference to the debate in your other post on dating Jeffries). It seems unusual to have the Jeffries stamp in an oval on both sides of the instrument, the buttons look a little larger than a "normal" C Jeffries and the shape of the "flower" opposite where the thumb buttons are seems slightly less detailed; more like a Jeffries Bros instrument? - maybe this is a transition instrument?

I recognise this is purely conjecture without seeing the instrument close up, but I'm reasonably certain about the key

Alex West

I'm not so sure this is a Bb/F.

When I tried to play the same notes as the vendor on his Youtube video and transposed them to match a "typical" Jeffries note layout, I reckon this sounds more like an Ab/Eb. Difficult to tell whether it's in concert pitch but it might be.

Ah, silly me. As I'm not now in the market for a Bb/F myself, I just took his word about the key.

Hopefully, anyone over there who is seriously interested in this instrument will make sure of the key for themselves, before bidding any high figure.

Anyway, I guess there's not going to be nearly so much demand for an Ab/Eb instrument.

It seems unusual to have the Jeffries stamp in an oval on both sides of the instrument, the buttons look a little larger than a "normal" C Jeffries and the shape of the "flower" opposite where the thumb buttons are seems slightly less detailed; more like a Jeffries Bros instrument? - maybe this is a transition instrument?

Alex West

Very interesting, thanks Alex.

Perhaps I should Google for Jeffries Photos, to get more visual info on just how many variations there are to these ends. ;)

Cheers

Dick