George Fox And Monk's March

synchopepper

JimLucas

I'll repeat what I just said in passing before:

.... It is my understanding that the tune to "Lord of the Dance" was taken directly from the Shaker hymn "Simple Gifts", and was never a traditional Morris tune.

This is confirmed by Stainer & Bell LOTD Sydney Carter's publisher.

JimLucas

How so? Surely you don't mean that creativity shouldn't be versatile?

What I meant by my comments was that I was surprised that "Crow on the Cradle" and "LOTD" were written by the same person. I love Crow on the Cradle :D but am not a fan of Mr Carters other work namely "One More Step", "Lord of the Dance" and "When I needed a neighbour". Perhaps I sang them all too often as a child :( .

Undeniably a very talented man whatever I may think of particular compositions.

Peter

PS. Sorry I know the quotes are not correct. I'm off to read Jim's post again on how to do them properly.

Hey,

I agree with you all - I guess I muddied the waters with my Lord of the Dance reference! Since I woke up this morning, I've been mulling over my comment that Lord of the Dance is "essentially the same tune." I wrote that around 2:30 or 3 AM when I was dead tired, and in the cold light of day (actually the light of day is pretty warm in a South Florida summer), I found myself wondering what I was thinking when I wrote that!

Thanks to Jim for reminding me of the similarity to Simple Gifts. I knew that - I just "didn't know it" at 3AM!

(edited for punctuation)

Edited by Brian Humphrey

What I meant by my comments was that I was surprised that "Crow on the Cradle" and "LOTD" were written by the same person.

I understood that. What I meant by my comment was that I was surprised that you were surprised.

I've never found anyone I agree with completely, nor any artist whose every work I admire. (There are some whose every work I dislike.)

Has it been otherwise with you?

• 5 years later...
Does anyone have any information about either “George Fox” or “Monk’s March” that would be useful in the way of an intro to explain them to an audience?

Arriving "a little late" on this thread!

I've just picked up the following information from another forum:

"Cromwell's General Monk lost his horses here - hence the name Coire nan Each."

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/260217

I'm sure we're all agreed that war is a terrible thing. General Monck seems to have been an unusual soldier in that he was sometimes able to use the potential of his forces to achieve objectives without actually fighting (and getting people killed.) He also seems to have ended the Civil War/Restoration period acknowledged by both sides as an honourable man, (with apologies to the Scots.)

His slow march to London seems to have been a deliberate tactic, again to achieve objectives without getting anyone killed.

When talking about the tune one has to note Alan Day's lovely youtube version. I particularly like the quick pulse in the bass,

Since this topic bubbled back up due to recent posts I thought I would like to add a few updates after reviewing the threads -

Several years ago after these threads were first posted I went to Philadelphia for their famous New Years Mummer's Parade. (why aren't there any concertina bands in the Mummer's Parade?) I also visited the Race Street Quakers Meeting House, the largest in the world and the oldest in the US. While there I meet one of the elders and during our conversation I brought up the George Fox song. The elder reached around and me, pulled a hymnal from the pew rack, and flipped it open to the song! I then told him the story about the Monk's March connection and a brief bio of General George Monk which was all news to him. He got a huge kick out of it and couldn't wait to tell the whole congregation!

Regarding the point about "Lord of the Dance" not appearing in the Anglican Hymnal - sometime ago I attended a funeral in an American Methodist Church and "The Lord of the Dance" was part of the service and in their hymnal.

Hat's off to Jim and his great rendition of Monk's March. I have to come clean and confess I perform George Fox with the banjo.

Whenever I give an introduction to a song or tune I get 'Oh get on with it!' from my sensitive mates!

In these twittering, Attention Span Deficit times will my grandchildren start doing it with 'Once upon a time..... bedtime stories

Mind you a lot of folk club performers turned from singers to comedians following longer and longer rambling intros