Robert Plant -Band of Joy

i found a bigger picture and it's a cushion with a shining ring (or band ) on it. Sorry. But he does play a mouth organ !

Are the Mouth Organ and the Harmonica one and the same thing or is there some specific technical difference between the two ?

i found a bigger picture and it's a cushion with a shining ring (or band ) on it. Sorry. But he does play a mouth organ !

Are the Mouth Organ and the Harmonica one and the same thing or is there some specific technical difference between the two ?

Like so many things, I think you would get different answers from different people. Here are some I've encountered:

• They are one and the same.
  • Like the difference between "fiddle" and "violin", it depends on who is playing it and what they're playing on it.
  • There are several kinds of "harmonica" (just as there are different kinds of concertina), and "mouth organ" normally refers only to the most primitive (like the 20-button anglo?).

Then there are those languages where the word "harmonika" refers to what we call an "accordion", and what Americans call a "harmonica" is named (in translation) "mouth accordion" (e.g., "mundharmonika" in Danish).

Like so many things, I think you would get different answers from different people. Here are some I've encountered:

• They are one and the same.
  • Like the difference between "fiddle" and "violin", it depends on who is playing it and what they're playing on it.
  • There are several kinds of "harmonica" (just as there are different kinds of concertina), and "mouth organ" normally refers only to the most primitive (like the 20-button anglo?).

Then there are those languages where the word "harmonika" refers to what we call an "accordion", and what Americans call a "harmonica" is named (in translation) "mouth accordion" (e.g., "mundharmonika" in Danish).

Thanks Jim. We can of course have endless fun with language !