First Concertina

Hello,

I'm looking at getting myself a concertina.

My father plays. Like many other concertina-players, he loves his instruments and talks about them alot (read: allllll the time), so somehow I've been brainwashed into thinking they are so very very cool and I would like to learn to play myself.

I really want to learn Irish Trad. I play the fiddle a little bit, and as far as concertina's go I've just been mucking around on my Dads Jeffries Maccann Duet (on which I have been able to manage... um...a scale....) and on his Crabb D/G anglo (on which I have ALMOST mastered the Davy Knick-nack =] ). I'm saving at the moment but by the end of the year I should be able to afford something for about 2000-2500 Aussie Dollars.

I've been doing a bit of research on the internet and have asked my dad for some advice but I'd like to hear some other opinions, too. (I believe I've come to the right place?) So far, from what I've learned (and please tell me if you think otherwise), I think my best bet is to go for a 3 row C/G Hybrid (Edgley or a Tedrow). Dad seemed to think that both Edgleys and Tedrows would be fairly similar - is there any reason to chose one over the other?

On the other hand, I've been to a shop that sells concertina 's and really liked a little two-row Lachenal, I think it was priced at $900 or something. Dad reckons that I need a three-row C/G to play Irish music, but the person at the shop said I could work around it. It was a very pretty concertina and I liked the way it sounded, and it was old. Do you think I would be able to get something like that as a three-row for around $2500? If so, how would it compare playability-wise to a new Edgley or Tedrow? What would be a better concertina for a Newbie? Or is there something else that would be an even better option?

Thanks, I'd really appreciate any opinions or advice!

Jess.

Edited by jesslwtn

Hi Jess,

your dad should be a good guide and help along the way. It's much easier to learn to play an instrument, I think, if there's already a bit of music in the house. But having daughters myself, I fully understand the need to go and check that we really sort of half know what we might be talking about!! smile.gif Anyway, I don't know much about Australian prices as we live in Ireland but you dad is right insofar as what you say. A three row anglo in C/G is fairly standard for playing Irish trad on and if you go to any workshops/ classes, the vast majority of others will have these. You can play on a 2 row, of course but most people wouldn't, in reality.

I have a Lachenal and I like it but mechanically it would not be as good as a recently built hybrid like the ones you mention - odd things can happen and sometimes I have to open it up and fiddle around etc. You mightn't want to do that, so again as your dad says, the hybrid might be a better bet. I could also add that I've seen lots of young players at festivals like the Willie Clancy summer school, playing on these type of hybrid concertinas.

Anyway, enjoy your music making and keep up the fiddle! It's a wonderful instrument and capable of a lot more nuance in the long term compared to a mechanical instrument like a concertina - in my very humble opinion!

Edited by tombilly

Hi Jess

In order to give you a good advice, it is interesting to know if the repertoire that you like to play (Irish traditional) matches your father's repertoire. In other words: up till now I never saw duet concertina's used for Irish trad. music.

When ITM really is "your thing", you should go for a 30+ button Anglo!

In order to give you a good advice, it is interesting to know if the repertoire that you like to play (Irish traditional) matches your father's repertoire. In other words: up till now I never saw duet concertina's used for Irish trad. music.

Angloplayer, Dad can play a some classical tunes (or is it songs? pieces?) on the duet but these days it doesn't get played much. He mostly plays the D/G. He used to play in Bush Bands alot years ago (hence the D/G), but these days he's more interested in playing ITM. He's also looking for a C/G but I think he'll be going for something a bit more flash then what I'll be getting.

But having daughters myself, I fully understand the need to go and check that we really sort of half know what we might be talking about!!

Absolutely! Thanks for your advice, tombilly.

One more question... the D/G has a Wheatstone layout, but the person I'd like to learn from plays a concertina with a Jeffries layout. Is one better for ITM then the other?

Hello,

So far, from what I've learned (and please tell me if you think otherwise), I think my best bet is to go for a 3 row C/G Hybrid (Edgley or a Tedrow). Dad seemed to think that both Edgleys and Tedrows would be fairly similar - is there any reason to chose one over the other?

You might add the Morse Ceili to your hybrid list. Very nice to play, very light, not a long wait, and in your price range. I have a Morse, a Tedrow, and a 2 row Lachenal. I think the Morse is my "all-rounder". Having said that, I know a few ITM players who love their Edgleys, and to my ear, they sound a little more like vintage concertinas than my Tedrow & Morse do (although mine are not in C/G- I play mostly English dance music- G/D, and accompany songs Bb/F). The 20 key is a lot of fun, with a great sound and action (it's one of the better quality rosewood models), but it is a bit limiting.

well.... D/G is not really the traditional key for irish music, so it really doesn't matter too much! C/G is the traditional key, though we usually play tunes in D and G. confusing, isn't it?

i would stay away from the 2 row, as you cannot play in the key of D, which makes you unable to play many tunes!