45 button jeffries

This is out of intrest has any one got a button layout for a 45 button jeffries anglo?

ps its in c/g

"
it
s in c/g"

Are you indicating that you have one, and you expect the layout on mine to be the same? I think I can just about guarantee that no two 45-button anglos (Jeffries or otherwise) have identical layouts.

hello jim

many thanks for the reply.I do not have one but may have the offer of one

I take in what you say re the button layout.did you have yours altered

or is it as came?would it be asking to much for your layout.

cplayer

hello jim

many thanks for the reply.I do not have one but may have the offer of one

I take in what you say re the button layout.did you have yours altered

or is it as came?would it be asking to much for your layout.

cplayer

well, they are all going to be different, due to the fact that players will often change the layout to suit their needs. some players of 30 buttons do this, but it is even more common with 30+ buttoned anglo concertinas, due to the fact that the notes on the periphery are non essential, and usefulness is dependent on personal style. add to this the fact that the layout was never fully standardized anyways, AND the fact that players who switch instruments will often modify it to match another instrument they used to play (which in itself had probably been modified by a previous owner), and you can see why there is so much variability.

however, there has been over the years a consensus of what the general idea should be. here is a 39 button layout by a top maker: http://www.suttnerconcertinas.com/images/key_layout_jeff_39.gif . i assume mr. suttner did the research before he decided upon the layout. consider the 45 button jeffries an extension of that.

what style of music do you play? depending on what it is, you may or may not need to be fully concerned with the extra buttons. hopefully someone can find you a representative 45 button layout.

i would say that if the instrument is in good condition, and if you want the extra buttons/need the extra buttons, you should go for it regardless of the layout. you can always have the layout changed. i know someone who bought a concertina in a weird key (i think it may have been C/F or something) and moved the reeds around and bought extra reeds to get it how you want it. of course, this may not be your idea of the right thing to do (for historical provenance), but i think that if you document all your changes (what notes were changed, and how, etc) and put it in the case for the future, you should be fine.