relating instrument skills

Great post catty, sums up a lot of what I've been thinking about this thread but hadn't had the time to sit down and write.

I honestly believe that moving between different instruments give me a deeper understanding and appreciation of the music, and feeds the understanding that goes into the other instruments whilst admittedly ruining my (already slim) chances of becoming a conservatoire-standard concertinist, or fluter, or low whistler, or bouzoukist.

Opportunities open up that would be closed to you, I've lost count of the bands I've initially joined primarily because I play instrument [x], and then my remit has broadened out to include instrument [y] or [z]. And if you're in a session and there's two of instrument [x] already, what a great opportunity to give instrument [y] a run-out (unless it's a dedicated 'instrument x' workshop of course!)

Multi-instrumentalists of the world unite, cast off the chains of mono-instrumentalism. Hardly the greatest rallying cry ever, but there you go.

Great post catty, sums up a lot of what I've been thinking about this thread but hadn't had the time to sit down and write.

I honestly believe that moving between different instruments give me a deeper understanding and appreciation of the music, and feeds the understanding that goes into the other instruments whilst admittedly ruining my (already slim) chances of becoming a conservatoire-standard concertinist, or fluter, or low whistler, or bouzoukist.

Multi-instrumentalists of the world unite, cast off the chains of mono-instrumentalism. Hardly the greatest rallying cry ever, but there you go.

I'm definitely finding its providing more insight into another instrument and being a multi-instrumentalist makes you a more considerate player especially in sessions as you can 'asses' what other instruments are capable of and tailor tunes to suit.

Like I'm starting to realize what would be a easy tune on melodeon/concertina...is hard on fiddle and vice versa. But have resolved if there are fiddlers in the room to play a tune in D.

btw. if anyone is interested...my first attempt at a whole tune after 4 days practice.

I have to say annoyingly my sister asked for a go afterwards and managed to play much better than me after only 15mins practice. >:(

But then she's used to playing stringed instruments.

Edited by LDT