copyright OK ?

flix

What is the rule, or etiquette, on this site, for posting some of my concertina music that is copyrighted by someone? Assuming I only want to share the music, and expect no profit from the post, is it OK ?

Thanks in advance for your time

While I am not a copyright attorney, the advise I received was to always make sure that credits are given and that it is not used for sale or profit. If you do decide to use a copyrighted piece you must receive permission from the copyright house and in some cases pay a fee or royalty.

http://honolulu.hawaii.edu/intranet/committees/FacDevCom/guidebk/policies/copyrite.htm

rss

Copyright law is a minefield, and varies from place. Not being a lawyer I don't know whether the relevant law is that of where you are resident or where c.net is based.

There are two different copyrights involved - the copyright in the composition and copyright in the recording. Assuming these are recordings of your own playing then you only have to worry about the first. The usual way of paying for the use of copyright material is through one of the organisations set up to administer composers' rights. In the UK this is the Performing Rights Society, and there are equivalents in other countries (I believe the USA has several).

Sites which sell downloads commercially have the necessary licences from the appropriate organisation (or so I was told by PRS when I enquired about licences for an album I was publishing online). I doubt whether this applies to c.net. Most websites which allow you to post recordings insist that you own the necessary copyrights. In practice, it is probably unlikely that you would be hounded by lawyers over a non-commercial use. Alternatively, record only public-domain material.

If c.net does have a licence then you should be OK - ask Paul. If not, it might be better to put the recordings on another site and link to that.