Looking for old baritone tutor by Case

Do any baritone players out there have a copy of "The Baritone Concertina: A New Method" by George Case, London: Boosey & Sons, 1857?

I need a better visual than any I've come up with so far!

Isn't Baritone's layout is the same with Treble, only one octave down?

Which means you can use any tutor or any sheet music to play it. It will either sound an octave down from written, or you may easily transpose it up an octave. There is a question of speed of response at the bottom edge, but I doubt any tutor will deal with this either. Very high or very low reeds may have specific sound qualities, but it's so relative and differs from instrument to instrument.

I took a look at the Baritone sheet music offered on the Concertina Connection web site. It is all written in treble clef, one octave up from where it sounds. You'd play it just as if you were playing a treble. So I'd agree-- even for music written specifically for baritone in the 1850's you don't need to learn a different approach. A tutor for a treble should work fine. The Salvation Army tutor is on the concertina.net main site and a couple of other tutors are available on www.concertina.com. Still, I'd also be interested in seeing a copy of the Case tutor for baritone concertina to see if it is actually any different from others from the same period.

For a pure baritone there is no difference but for a baritone extended treble, such as my wife plays, the notes are on the other hand!

Robin Madge

So your wife plays 86 button English Concertina? Or it's a Tenor-Treble? Or it's a Baritone extended up? Then it's "core" button board has layout identical to Treble, but Treble part has fingering reversed?

It's a 60 button treble with the extra notes going down to a G, the same note as the bottom one on a G/D Anglo but, of course it has all the notes down to this, unlike the Anglo. It plays as a normal treble and just keeps on going down.

Robin Madge

I took a look at the Baritone sheet music offered on the Concertina Connection web site. It is all written in treble clef, one octave up from where it sounds. You'd play it just as if you were playing a treble. So I'd agree-- even for music written specifically for baritone in the 1850's you don't need to learn a different approach. A tutor for a treble should work fine.

True and easiest to simply play an octave down I think, BUT it seems playing a baritone AS a baritone means playing music using middle C as mid-C which then reverses it onto the R-side. This is my conundrum! I copied many treble tutors prior to receiving my baritone but didn't realize till beginning to make sense of them with the concertina in my hands (my first!)that I potentially wasn't making full use of the baritone as it was designed to be played. The link http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showuser=1685 seems to support that thought if I've understood it correctly.

And, this link from Larry http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=5657 has helped to simply the version I created (thanks!).

The Salvation Army tutor is on the concertina.net main site and a couple of other tutors are available on www.concertina.com. Still, I'd also be interested in seeing a copy of the Case tutor for baritone concertina to see if it is actually any different from others from the same period.

I do hope someone is able to share this!

it seems playing a baritone AS a baritone means playing music using middle C as mid-C which then reverses it onto the R-side. This is my conundrum! I copied many treble tutors prior to receiving my baritone but didn't realize till beginning to make sense of them with the concertina in my hands (my first!)that I potentially wasn't making full use of the baritone as it was designed to be played.

Seems to defeat the purpose. Playing Baritone to it's true pitch will sound exactly like Treble, only with upper range shortened and lower range extended. If you have music written mostly below middle C, it would make sense.