Free Reed Sighting On Pop Album!

Apologies for the tangent, but Helen at the very least might appreciate this - I was listening to the new Morrissey album last night and my ears pricked up at track 10, as there's an accordion clearly audible among the rhythm guitar parts, and to these ears it sounds like it might be a real one rather than a synthesizer - though I might change my mind when I listen again. OK, so it's not a concertina, but it's a start :D

Edited to remove bad grammar.

Edited by stuart estell

Now that my ear is sharpened to free reed sounds, I find that I hear accordion at least, in lots of commercial media stuff: television ads, movie soundtracks, radio soundbites.

Also, there's a satellite channel that I get on my tv that features a midwestern polka party show. Fun footage of chemnitzer driven polka bands playing live dates in "the heartland". Channel is called RFTV, for Rural Farm TV. If you can get it, it's a lot of fun.

Oh thanks Stuart, this is great.

I usually read Concertina.net every day, but I was gone to a festival for several days.

Nice to come home and read about accordions. Well, and concertinas too.

Helen

I almost forgot this - I'm sure the accordion people (Hi Helen!) will appreciate it.

I was taking my daughter for a last look at colleges so she could make her final choice. She is a really good musician (violin) and so we were meeting with the orchestra conductor at one of the colleges. As we a talked about music, she asked if i was a musician, too. My daughter responded first saying "Dad plays the concertian and accordion!" The conductor tolde me that the piano acordion is very chic :o now, and one of the new and hot conductors / composers favorite instruments is the PA!

Jay

Oh Jay, you love, you've made my day.

I play a chic instrument.

And the hot new conductor has it as his? her? favorite instrument.

Woohoo as I think Lisa would say. I love it, it's my new favorite expression. Thanks Lisa.

Thank you Jay for the wonderful and enlightening information.

Helen