Angela's Waltz - Another Own Composition by Chris Drinkwater

Chris Drinkwater

Following on from the nice comments I received about my first attempt at composing a tune, posted here, a while back, in ABC format,a jolly jig I named Gardener's Delight, I have tried my hand at composing a waltz. It is called Angela's Waltz and I have written it as a surprise for a friend by that name who has a birthday coming up soon. The ABC is printed below. Copy and paste it into the Tune-O-Tron to see the score and hear the tune. The tune reminds me of another close relative of the waltz, the varsoviana, but waltz is easier to spell! All comments welcomed.

Chris

X: 1

T:Angela's Waltz

R:Waltz

C:Chris Drinkwater

M:3/4

L:1/8

K:G

Q:1/4=120

dc|B2c2d2|G4 gf|e2f2g2|d4 dc|[1B2c2d2|G2A2B2|A6-|A4:|[2B2G2B2|A2c2F2|G6-|G4|]

|:FG A2D2|D2B2G2|G2A2d2|A2B2G2|FG A2D2|D2B2d2|[1d2 dc B2|A2G4:|[2d2 FG A2|B2G4|]

• Like 1

Following on from the nice comments I received about my first attempt at composing a tune, posted here, a while back, in ABC format,a jolly jig I named Gardener's Delight, I have tried my hand at composing a waltz. It is called Angela's Waltz and I have written it as a surprise for a friend by that name who has a birthday coming up soon. The ABC is printed below. Copy and paste it into the Tune-O-Tron to see the score and hear the tune. The tune reminds me of another close relative of the waltz, the varsoviana, but waltz is easier to spell! All comments welcomed.

Chris

X: 1

|:FG A2D2|D2B2G2|G2A2d2|A2B2G2|FG A2D2|D2B2d2|[1d2 dc B2|A2G4:|[2d2 FG A2|B2G4|]

Hi.

I think there is a mistake in location of bar lines in the second part. You moved the bar one quarter note forward.

But I liked the tune. It's simple, clear and has it's charm. I think it will sound better on accordion. I'll try. It's in G and my Hohner is in C/F, but I'll manage.

• Like 1

I think there is a mistake in location of bar lines in the second part. You moved the bar one quarter note forward.

But I liked the tune. It's simple, clear and has it's charm. I think it will sound better on accordion. I'll try. It's in G and my Hohner is in C/F, but I'll manage.

I could not spot that. Could you say specifically where it occurs? Maybe you know ABC notation better than I do.

regards

John

I could not spot that. Could you say specifically where it occurs? Maybe you know ABC notation better than I do.

regards

John

Well, I've re-checked my ABC notation, looked at the PDF score and played the tune back in midi format and I can't see or hear any mistakes anywhere, not even in the B part. It is as I wrote it.

Chris

regards

John

Well, I've re-checked my ABC notation, looked at the PDF score and played the tune back in midi format and I can't see or hear any mistakes anywhere, not even in the B part. It is as I wrote it.

Chris

The last bar of the second repeat only has 2 beats. On the first repeat there are two eighths as pickups but there is no corresponding pickup going into the second part. So either you extend the second ending one more beat or you've slipped a beat or the piece ends one beat early. From the sound, I suspect the tune ends one beat too early and all the bar lines in the second part are shifted one beat to the left. In the second part, did you mean the accented beat one to fall on the F (then the second D, then the second G) or on the A (then B then A).

Or:

X:1

|:FG|A2D2D2|B2G2G2|A2d2A2|B2G2 FG|A2D2D2|B2d2d2|[1dcB2A2|G4:|[2 FG A2B2|G4|]

Or:

X:1

|:FG|A2D2D2|B2G2G2|A2d2A2|B2G2 FG|A2D2D2|B2d2d2|[1dcB2A2|G4:|[2 FG A2B2|G4|]

It is convenient to know ABC thing. Easy to supply. Yes, exactly what I meant.

Hi Guys, and Mischa, especially, I see what you are getting at now, re: the B part. There was an inconsistency, which I realized myself, after looking at my scoring of the tune again, a bit later. This is only my second attempt at scoring an own composition, and using ABC format, so I am bound to make mistakes. A good reason for posting the tune here for evaluation. :)

I have now altered it accordingly. I hope Angela will be pleased with it!

Chris

Here are the dots for the corrected version with the 1st bar of the B part altered.

Chris

Very nice Chris; a sweet little tune. Your friend is a fortunate lady to receive this as a gift. Well done!!

John