Playing in the Cold

Playing outside when the weather's warm is good fun .Today in aid of The Haiti Apeal we played outside the temperature in Penzance is about 4C.I have tried playing with fingerless gloves but my fingers still get very cold,what made it worse was that ,I played in one band for 1/2 hour then had to lead a dancing band for another 1/2 hour.I could not find my place on the keyboard or get my hands in and out of the handstraps quickly to play (sorting music out for others ).Any way everyone seamed to enjoy the performances.I notice that military bandsmen often play in gloves. Any one tried it ! Bob

What kind of gloves do you see people playing in? (Material/fit)

I've never played wearing fingered gloves, but if you wore a pair that was thin and flexible enough it would probably work well. The only problem I would think would be that one's fingers would slip off the keys since the fabric is slipperier than bare fingers. Perhaps there would be a way to put something on them to keep from slipping? It might be worth experimentation.

"Fingerless" gloves can be too fingerless! How about ordinary gloves with just the "top joint" snipped off? Alternatively, latex-type gloves under the fingerless ones?

At a very chilly dance practice the other day someone gave me a chemical hand-warmer sachet. I was amazed how much heat it produced and for how long!

Some people play with intrument and hands and all inside a bag for wet weather protection. Something similar for cold weather?

Playing outside when the weather's warm is good fun .Today in aid of The Haiti Apeal we played outside the temperature in Penzance is about 4C.I have tried playing with fingerless gloves but my fingers still get very cold,what made it worse was that ,I played in one band for 1/2 hour then had to lead a dancing band for another 1/2 hour.I could not find my place on the keyboard or get my hands in and out of the handstraps quickly to play (sorting music out for others ).Any way everyone seamed to enjoy the performances.I notice that military bandsmen often play in gloves. Any one tried it ! Bob

Yes. Military bandsmen play in gloves but that does nothing to prevent the condensation in a trombone slide rapidly locking solid between tunes in bitter weather.

Two suggestions - I use some Tibetan fingerless mittens which are a lot thicker over the palm of the hand than traditional fingerless gloves and cover up to the second joint on my fingers. Leaves the finger ends open to the elements but I have found over a couple of years of working outdoors for up to eight hours at a time that if the rest of my hand is warm then the finger ends are OK. The other thought is army surplus leather gloves which are tight fitting if you can find the right size for you,

Steve

I notice that military bandsmen often play in gloves. Any one tried it ! Bob

My folk group once played at an international street festival up in the north of Germany on a First of May with temperatures around 4°C at midday, and getting colder all afternoon.

Our fingers would have siezed up completely, had there not been a Greek refreshment stall beside the stage that kept us supplied with free Ouzo! ohmy.gif

Cheers,

John

Can regular playing in the cold cause long term probems like osteoarthritis?

I get cold feet when suddenly dropped on at some sessions or workshops but don't we all . What's the best way to be fore-armed in that situation. I never worried when I used to take a drop but now I'm on the soda water it's more nervy

Edited by michael sam wild