Should it be this hard to start?

I'm a newbie who got some kind, helpful responses to my question about how to start yesterday. Unfortunately, I looked at the suggested websites and tried to start, but pushing the buttons while pushing and pulling did not change the notes. I know nothing about concertinas, but I have played guitar, piano, etc. So is it likely that this struggle is standard for a beginner, or could it be the instrument (it's an inexpensive 20 button that fell into my hands)?

I'm a newbie who got some kind, helpful responses to my question about how to start yesterday. Unfortunately, I looked at the suggested websites and tried to start, but pushing the buttons while pushing and pulling did not change the notes. I know nothing about concertinas, but I have played guitar, piano, etc. So is it likely that this struggle is standard for a beginner, or could it be the instrument (it's an inexpensive 20 button that fell into my hands)?

Are you sure you did not get an English concertina?

Regie

Edited by Regie

See my response to your other thread:

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=10825&view=findpost&p=108548

According to one site, the kind of strap it has says it's not an English concertina.

Are you sure you did not get an English concertina?

Regie

So therefore probably an Anglo or a duet (as previously suggested). There was a 20 button Maccann duet auctioned off on Ebay recently - but it certainly wasn't cheap! Have you provided a photo yet or those knowledgeable peeps on this forum to gawp at and provide an identiication ?