dating this one

fidjit

Just seen this one in action. Still looks like new !

Salvation Army lady lives near me. Well 30 miles away.

Was bought in 1962 in Stockholm for SEK 900,- (ca £100)

I just saw that there was going to be "a Singing with concertina" announcement in the local newspaper. I rang the newspaper for information, as they had forgot to say where.

I went along to this coffee and songs with concertina meeting in the Kungsberg Kyrke Church meeting. There she was in full uniform.

I shewed her mine (Lachenal Anglo anno 1895) and she shewed me hers. Whetstone English number 46142. 48 button as far as I can see. Wot Ya Fink ?

post-1882-12657388303778_thumb.jpg

I just saw that there was going to be "a Singing with concertina" announcement in the local newspaper. I rang the newspaper for information, as they had forgot to say where.

I went along to this coffee and songs with concertina meeting in the Kungsberg Kyrke Church meeting. There she was in full uniform.

I shewed her mine (Lachenal Anglo anno 1895) and she shewed me hers. Whetstone English number 46142. 48 button as far as I can see. Wot Ya Fink ?

Well, Chas, looking at the fretwork and red baffle behind, it's definitely a late model EC, dating from the 1950's onwards. The serial number you quote, 46142, doesn't make sense. The last serial number for a Wheatstone EC was 37083, made in 1974, according to the Horniman ledgers. It looks similar to a 1956 model 2E, which is a Rosewood-ended 48 key treble, except this one has chromium plated metal-ends. It looks nice. Dunno, otherwise.

Chris

Chris I looked at the Horniman stuff

There was a gap in numbering 37'S TO 55'S

http://www.horniman.info/DKNSARC/SD04/PAGES/D4P0010S.HTM

The number was there alright. Of course my camera flash took that away. Been trying to put up some more photo's but there's a problem. However, I've a bit on Facebook.

Edited by fidjit

How was the singing? Was there much Old salvation Army repertoire? It would be a fascinating area to looking into… the songs and pieces of the Sally's concertina playing….

A picture of her ('in full uniform') with her concertina would have been great also.

Dave

As for songs. They were from a psalm book with numbers.

One was by, J.C. Bateman. Music from Salvation Army 1880 !

I managed to play along with a couple. She just played chords.

Trying to add another photo. I keep getting - error uploading.

Edited by fidjit

Chris I looked at the Horniman stuff

There was a gap in numbering 37'S TO 55'S

http://www.horniman....ES/D4P0010S.HTM

The 55's in ledger SD04 are only anglos.

Until 1937 Wheatstone used 1 line of serial numbers for all their concertinas. But in Ledger SD03 (1937-1974) from November 1937 the anglos are missing: I think #34945 is the last one.

Ledger SD04 is an Anglo production Ledger, starting in 1953 with #55492. So there are one or more ledgers for anglos between 1937 and 1953 which are lost. If production between 1937 en 1953 was 5500 anglos (not unlikely IMHO), separate numbering of anglos in 1937 started with #50000. (Is this correct?)

So for anglos there is a gap between #34945 and #50000(if I'm right), and the latest anglo is #59498.

In SD03 you can find the youngest English (#37083) and the youngest duet (#37057)

But if there is an English #46142 this is not the whole story. Who knows, a separate book for repairs and alterations starting from #45000? :huh:

Are there any other Wheatstones known between #37083 and #50000?