Bad case deal on E-bay

Someone on e-bay is advertising "Concertina Accordion" cases for cheap. link to item

unless you hate your concertina, don't get one of these. Their size forces you to store the concertina on end which will ruin the flap valves and cost you a lot more money than the case cost to replace. If they had been different in dimension, I would have figured they would be good for someone who wanted a hard case and didn't want to spend much on it. As it is, they would damage your instrument rather than protect it.

Dana

Edited by Dana Johnson

I have a case rather like this one that I use for storing my baritone, It fits in the case on its side rather than on its end. The case isn't blocked, so I keep the bellows closed by putting a pillow in the case along with the concertina. I suspect I should spring for a proper case or make one to fit the instrument. I suspect that there is enout room in the case a s pictured for the concertina to go in with proper orientation. It does look like the instrument might rattle around a bit.

I have a case rather like this one that I use for storing my baritone, It fits in the case on its side rather than on its end. The case isn't blocked, so I keep the bellows closed by putting a pillow in the case along with the concertina. I suspect I should spring for a proper case or make one to fit the instrument. I suspect that there is enout room in the case a s pictured for the concertina to go in with proper orientation. It does look like the instrument might rattle around a bit.

Nothing terribly wrong with the caselike aspects except the proportions of this particular one vs. the general approximately 6" concertina they had stuffed inside it. If the case you have fits your baritone with it on it's side. It is doing the job. Blocking etc. ( stuffing a towel around it or whatever ) is up to you. As it is, it will do more protecting than a soft case. A stronger more durable case will cost you more most of the time, and not everybody has the spare change to spend on such things, but while some e-bayers may not understand how concertinas need to be stored, the people here certainly need to. I am not sure about the dimensions of the one pictured, but most 6+ inch across the flats concertinas need a minimum of 8 inches inside the case from end to end. Some with more folds or larger hand rests can use a bit more.

Dana