Converting a crazy duet row!

Ok - I have a box with a row of pretty unuseful duet keys (on an otherwise anglo) I am wondering if as I restore the rest of the box if these could be moved and retuned to form a sensible baritone or diatonic row. I need some input from people who have experience of how far reeds will move and some idea of how I can get a useful diatonic scale. This is a C/G so the scale I end up with needs to fit with easily chordable keys on the standard C/G 36 layout.

The notes I have are:

LH

G2 Ab2 A2 Bb2 B2

RH

Bb3 B3 A3 G3 Gsharp3 Csharp4 C4/B6

Ok - I know they are crazy, but it feels like it should be rejiggable into something useful...

Ok - I have a box with a row of pretty unuseful duet keys (on an otherwise anglo) I am wondering if as I restore the rest of the box if these could be moved and retuned to form a sensible baritone or diatonic row. I need some input from people who have experience of how far reeds will move and some idea of how I can get a useful diatonic scale. This is a C/G so the scale I end up with needs to fit with easily chordable keys on the standard C/G 36 layout.

The notes I have are:

LH

G2 Ab2 A2 Bb2 B2

RH

Ok - I know they are crazy, but it feels like it should be rejiggable into something useful...

Hi gav,

I was puzzled, now I'm mystified : this seems not consistent with the layout you formerly posted !

(where I can read A,Bb,B,C on the left and G#,A,Bb,B,C,C# on the right). Or is it yet another instrument ???

And I'm still not sure about the octave. Is middle see C4 for you ? If so notes on the right hand

must be in the range of the left hand G row ?

I'd be happy to help you but please check again what you have...

David

Edited by david fabre

The notes I have are:

LH

G2 Ab2 A2 Bb2 B2

RH

Hi gav,

I was puzzled, now I'm mystified : this seems not consistent with the layout you formerly posted !

(where I can read A,Bb,B,C on the left and G#,A,Bb,B,C,C# on the right). Or is it yet another instrument ???

And I'm still not sure about the octave. Is middle see C4 for you ? If so notes on the right hand

must be in the range of the left hand G row ?

I'd be happy to help you but please check again what you have...

David

previous layotu in the other thread is for the G/D which I'm used to now - this is a C/G and a totally different kettle of fish!!

yes, middle C is C4 I think - will have to check - the notes I gave are the readout from my peterson strobe tuner...

Oops, sorry, I misunderstood.

So you have TWO of these strange anglo-duets of a kind that none of us has ever seen ONE...

How did you manage to get them ???

So, let's see :

LH

G2 Ab2 A2 Bb2 B2

That seems to enlarge the scale on the bottom. This looks like a good idea, personnally I'd keep them.

However, if the rest of the instrument is standart, you must be lacking some notes in the next octave :

D3, C#3, D#3, G#3. You could keep all these extra notes in a single direction and add the missing ones.

RH

:blink: :blink:

The first 5 are basses, strangely located on the right side.

The C# seems on the right place.

The last is very strange : is there really nearly 3 octaves of gap

between the three notes ?

Or is your tuner also going crazy trying to understand the layout :lol:

no, it really does leap like that - insane! :) I trust the Peterson pretty much more than my own ears :P

I got the G/D from Paul Read having played it a couple of years ago and subsequently became enchanted by the possibililty for a singer of the extra drones - I have become addicted since and stopped playing my other boxes. When the opportunity to do a straight swap with my 30 key for the C/G from the same ledger page came up I went for it despite some weaknesses of the instrument - the C/G has suffered damp in its past and needs some restoration - new springs and a retune still to come. However, I'm into these instruments enough to believe A/G Duet in the ledgers doesn't mean "Jeffries Duet" but something else entirely - oddballs for sure but there's something pretty awesome about them all the same.