Interesting New Feature

Went looking for a member. The entire list was only 12 individuals, all added in the last 3 days. And no means of searching. Didn't seem right.

But then I noticed that under the advert and path indication, it says "New Content" and "There are 12 entries". And the path is "Concertina.net Discussion Forums > New content".

In fact, there are two menu bars, one above the advert and one (more prominent, IMO) below the advert. And both have as included items: "Forums", "Members", and "Calendar". But corresponding items in the two menus aren't the same. Clicking on one of those items in the lower menu returns only recent additions. I.e., these are Forum posts, members, and calendar entries that also satisfy the criterion "New Content". Click on a corresponding item in the upper menu bar, and you get the global content... all the Forums and their historical content, all the members and the associated search facility, and the full calendar.

So after the shock of thinking that the whole membership section had been rendered unusable, I have found instead that there's an interesting new feature. I hope this post will save others from experiencing a similar shock. B)

NOTE: To encounter this new feature, first click on the "View New Content" link (at the upper right). Once you're in the
New content
environment (where it shows all the
new
posts from all subForums), you should see what I described.

Edited by JimLucas

Well, I have had no difficulty looking up existing members on our 'new look' C.net. Yesterday, I decided to look up an old established member's details, after clicking on "Forums" and bringing up the day's topics. Under the Concertina.net logo at the top of the page, next to "Forums", it says "Members". So, I clicked on "Members" and soon brought up the first page of the entire membership list, all 195 current pages of it. Then, I clicked on the initial of the member's C.net name I was looking for in the A-Z initial index, and immediately got the first page of members beginning with that initial. A few scrolls down the page quickly brought me to the person I was looking for.

But then I noticed that under the advert and path indication, it says "New Content" and "There are 12 entries". And the path is "Concertina.net Discussion Forums > New content".

In fact, there are two menu bars, one above the advert and one (more prominent, IMO) below the advert. And both have as included items: "Forums", "Members", and "Calendar". But corresponding items in the two menus aren't the same. Clicking on one of those items in the lower menu returns only recent additions. I.e., these are Forum posts, members, and calendar entries that also satisfy the criterion "New Content". Click on a corresponding item in the upper menu bar, and you get the global content... all the Forums and their historical content, all the members and the associated search facility, and the full calendar.[/Quote]

I didn't see anything relating to the above, Jim, So I am a bit puzzled by your experience.

Chris

I didn't see anything relating to the above, Jim, So I am a bit puzzled by your experience.

Oops! I guess I wasn't clear enough. I'll go back and put this into the original post:

To encounter this new feature, first click on the "View New Content" link (at the upper right). Once you're in the
New content
environment (where it shows all the
new
posts from all subForums), you should see what I described.

Maybe the software behaves differently in Denmark! I followed your instructions after reading your original posting, yesterday. I clicked on "view new content", brought up the page showing all the new topics and then clicked on "members". Doing so brought up the first page of the complete membership page, as normal. I have just repeated it and I get the same result. Peculiar. Maybe I am doing something different? I can understand what you are getting at, Jim. It makes sense that it should only display any new members, being "new content", however it didn't display that to me, for some reason on this, or the previous occasion. I shall try again at some point. It is a useful feature, as you point out.

Chris

Maybe the software behaves differently in Denmark! I followed your instructions after reading your original posting, yesterday. I clicked on "view new content", brought up the page showing all the new topics and then clicked on "members". Doing so brought up the first page of the complete membership page, as normal. I have just repeated it and I get the same result. Peculiar. Maybe I am doing something different? I can understand what you are getting at, Jim. It makes sense that it should only display any new members, being "new content", however it didn't display that to me, for some reason on this, or the previous occasion. I shall try again at some point. It is a useful feature, as you point out.

Chris, are you not getting "Members" links at two different locations on the page?

The one at the top does work as you say, but I find another one further down on the page (just above where the listing of new posts begins), and that shows only the "new" members when you click on it.

On the bottom of the main forum page is an option to Show by: Last Click or Member Name. Click on Member Name. (I think it's a summary of who's online now). Previous to the upgrade, clicking on View New Content was in reference to new posts. Now if you click View New Content, while still in the Online Users Page, it will do for me as Jim suggested.

Thanks

Leo

On the bottom of the main forum page is an option to Show by: Last Click or Member Name. Click on Member Name. (I think it's a summary of who's online now). Previous to the upgrade, clicking on View New Content was in reference to new posts. Now if you click View New Content, while still in the Online Users Page, it will do for me as Jim suggested.

So there are at least two ways to get to that display.

Good. I like variety.

Chris, are you not getting "Members" links at two different locations on the page?

The one at the top does work as you say, but I find another one further down on the page (just above where the listing of new posts begins), and that shows only the "new" members when you click on it.

I must have been wearing the "wrong" specs! When I clicked on "new content" before, I didn't notice "members" repeated in the heading below the banner, as you have pointed out in a previous post. Now I have seen it and clicked on it, it does what is says on the tin and brings up the day's new members. Thanks. :)

Chris