Fretwork Wear Patterns. Any Research?

Gill B

Is anyone aware of any research that has been carried out on the wear patterns of old anglo concertinas?

It could give an insight into how the instruments were played.

I've just seen a Jones 20 button C/G from about 1870s which seems to have been played mostly in G, mostly with the left hand, and also with patches of wear possibly from the little fingers. Interesting!

Gill

Is anyone aware of any research that has been carried out on the wear patterns of old anglo concertinas?

It could give an insight into how the instruments were played.

I've just seen a Jones 20 button C/G from about 1870s which seems to have been played mostly in G, mostly with the left hand, and also with patches of wear possibly from the little fingers. Interesting!

Gill

A past player of my EC obviously had sharp fingernails and played a lot in F (or at least in keys with B flat)

Chris

My tenor treble aeola EC has wear on the plating where some previous owner's palms rested on the edge of the instrument. I don't even touch the top with parts of my hand other than my finger tips, so obviously we have different technique! My palms and wrists stay about 1.5-2 inches away from the top-- I have big hands and long fingers.