I've Taken The Plunge

Hi guys, first an appology. I originally posted this topic to the " Buy & Sell" pages. However, I have ammended that by editing out the main transcript of my original post and re pasting it here.

In any event I would like to thanks David & Brian for contacting me privately and giving me their moral support in my endeavours to learn the Mccann duet system. Thanks guys.

Hi All,

I joined the forum a few weeks back and asked for and received lots of help and advice on my first concertina purchase. Many thanks.

Anyhow, I decided in the end to purchase a Lachenal/Mccann duet 49 key and I was fortunate in finding a shop who provided me a quality instrument in very good condition within my budget. Therefore I am indebted to the "Button Box". The instrument when it arrived was exactly as described and I am very pleased with it. I checked the tuning because I was worried that things may have shifted during transit. I need not have worried as the tuning is spot on.

The only downside is the import duty I have had to pay to HM Customs (UK) and especially so as the instrument is "old" and was made here in the UK in the first place! However, I had budgeted for this and it came as no surprise. To add insult to injury as it were, it took longer for Parcel Force to deliver the item from their depot to my home (about 10 miles) than it did for the item to travel from America; clear customs and then finally to the Parcel Force Depot ready for delivery to me. I could bore you all with the details of the problems I had with Parcel Force (and not for the first time either) bit I won't.

In upshot, I am pleased I have taken the plunge and I am pleased with both the instrument and the supplier. All I have to do now is learn how to play it (help... :unsure: ).

Mike Delta

Hi Mike,

I haven't heard of a Maccann with 49 keys before, but it is possible. The standard numbers of keys for Maccanns are 39, 46, 55 and larger. A 48-key Crane with an air button would have 49 buttons. If you really have a 49-key Maccann, we would be very interested to know what your keyboard layout is, and any history you know about it.

Best wishes getting to grips with the thing

Ivan

Hi Guys,

On a re count of the 49 key Lashenal/Mccann the buttons are 49 (as originally stated) plus one air button.

So really I suppose I have 50 butttons :rolleyes:

How do I post a couple of photos for you to look at? I have a couple on my hard drive as jpegs. I can also post an image of the button layout if you can tell me how to do so.

mike delta

I recently got a keyboard diagram for a "49-key Maccann" being sold by Button Box. I'm not sure that it's the same instrument as Mike bought, but it sounds like the same instrument, so I'll post the diagram here.

This instrument is quite a bit different from a standard Maccann Duet 46-key layout.

(1) It has an extra Bb key on the left side (top of column six).

(2) It has an extra F key on the left side (placed where an air-valve would be).

(3) It has an extra F key on the right side (bottom of column three).

That accounts for the extra three keys. In addition, it has a number of perturbations which are not part of any standard Maccann layout:

(4) On the left, three keys for A, B, and Eb have been interchanged (A changed to B, B changed to Eb, and Eb changed to A).

(5) On the left, the low F key has been changed to low D (and the F moved to an extra key, see (2) )

(6) On the right, three keys for A, B, and Eb have been interchanged (A changed to B, B changed to Eb, and Eb changed to A).

(7) On the right, two keys for Bb and C# have been interchanged (Bb changed to C#, C# changed to Bb).

I attach below a copy of the keyboard diagram, marked up to show the Maccann variances.

For the standard Maccann layout, I used the chart at

www.concertina.com/maccann-duet

There are quite a number of layouts for Maccann Duets of standard sizes, plus quite a number of variant arrangements, at

How to Play Chords on Any Maccann Duet Concertina

(Although, in fact, the standard chords which can be played on ALMOST any Maccann Duet concertina would not work on this instrument with all its variances.)

post-159-1143157899_thumb.jpg

Edited by Robert Gaskins

Hi all,

An opinion on my 49 button Duet concertina (50 if one includes the air button) in the short time I have owned it (one week).

In terms of difficulty I at first found the layout a complete mystery but having said that I think the same would apply to either English, Anglo or any other duet system as I have never played either so they are all a complete mystery to me in terms of layout.

I had to sit down and work out the scales from the printed layout I have in addition to the notes engraved into the button ends. I was also encouraged to approach my practice sessions in a logical way with the help of my partner and it was her calm approach last Sunday evening that prevented me from throwing the concertina through the window in frustration! :angry: :lol: :angry:

So – to date I have found that the following scales are fairly easily accessible. I have not included the additional lower notes below the keynote but have included the accessible higher notes above the keynote. If anyone is interested however I will re-post this topic with the lower notes.

In addition there is a certain amount of crossover although I have not explored the additional benefits of this yet as I am a beginner but it seems to me that this expands the range (or not).

In any event where only one octave is playable on the left side, the second octave can then be played on the right side so the range is still (in my beginners opinion) good enough for what I want to sing and play. "Horses for courses" as we say here in the UK.

Where I have included the additional notes in any given key I have included the main keynote in the total number.

I hope this helps any other "newbies" to the mysterious world of the Mccann Duet.

Finally, I am not finding the scales too difficult really and although I am just starting out on the concertina I have had a go at a few chords too and there does appear to be a logic to the set-up. For example, what is becoming clearer is the actual logic behind the layout as it does actually have one. Mccann designed it this way for a purpose and although the reasons for the Mccann design escape me at the moment I feel sure that a pattern will become all too clear as my experience grows.

49 key Lachenal Mccann.

Key of G.

Left hand. One octave (plus four notes).

Right hand. Two octaves.

Key of D.

Left hand. One octave (plus seven).

Right hand. One octave (plus four).

Key of A.

Left hand. One octave (plus two).

Right hand. One octave (plus six).

Key of C.

Left hand. Two octaves.

Right hand. One octave (plus five).

Key of F.

Left hand. One octave (plus five).

Right hand. Two octaves (plus two).

I hope some of you find this informative.

Mike Delta.

Edited by mike delta

Thanks Robert and Mike for that.

I bet this one is unique. I guess it must have been specially made for someone who liked the smallness of the 46-key but just wanted to get past the most annoying things on the 46-key without getting too big. That person must also have been confused by the difference between the two G-rows on a normal Maccann.

Mike, I think you will enjoy playing this Maccann, because the extra 3 keys are going to be very useful to you. But you might be confused as hell if you try to play one with the keys in the usual places!

I think you are doing well to learn the patterns of the scales. What takes the time is to hardwire them in your head so you can do it without thinking.

Ivan