Who Plays Classical/renaissance/baroque Music On English Concertina

While studying there a particular teacher, Sebastian, who is a fabulous Accordeonist and composer, suggested that I play more than one voice at a time. At first I thought I couldn’t do it, but with my fathers encouragement (he played classical guitar for many years) I found that I could. He said that a guitarist can only play 6 notes at a time, but a concertinist can play up to 8 notes, even more, at a time, so theoretically I should be able to do it. I worked at it and found out that I can. I have to arrange the pieces especially for the concertina, but sitting down and working it all out helps me to learn and understand the music.

Hi Juliette,

Thanks for your response; as I suspected, your playing sounds to be technically quite advanced (or should that be very advanced?). Maybe we'll hear some recordings before too long.

While many of us who play concertina know/know of many others, and it's great to meet up at some of the larger events, we are actually quite a small minority. Whilst your posting might not have helped you find any additional players who play in your style of music, it has at least alerted the rest of us that there is new talent emerging in France.

Keep up the good work, and please keep us informed of your progress on the Forum. :)

Regards,

Peter.

[Thanks for your response; as I suspected, your playing sounds to be technically quite advanced (or should that be very advanced?). Maybe we'll hear some recordings before too long.

Hi Peter,

I just recorded some of my playing today and I am trying to figure out how to get it on to the Concertina Net. This is the first recording I've ever made of my playing and so please be a little patient with my getting it put on. It might take me a day or two as I'm very new at this. It was really interesting to hear myself playing for the first time on a recording. It''s just a monoral recording done with a 10 cent mike to my computer. I'm planning on getting some good, but inexpensive equipment soon. I have a couple of extra concertinas that I might sell to help pay for the equipment and other things I need for my music. After I get this piece on, I'll try to record a medly of parts of other pieces I do to give you an idea of what I've been talking about.

I appreciate your interest and encouragement, it does help,

Juliette

It was really interesting to hear myself playing for the first time on a recording.

Hi Juliette,

This is always an amazing experience; you think that you know what your playing sounds like, then you do a recording. When you listen, you think "Was that really me?"

Anyway, I look forward to hearing your recordings. I'm always very patient, and do like to encourage other musicians.

This has cheered me up. I've just mailed Alan Day and told him my woes from today. I was racing my bike down at Fontwell (Sussex); punctured during the warm-up :angry: , then strained a hamstring during the race :( . I didn't stop to see all of the times, but the event was probably won by Sean Yates (former Tour de France Yellow Jersey) who normally beats me by between 3min 30sec and 4min over ten miles.

I guess this means less time on the bike :( , more time on the concertinas :) over the next couple of weeks.

Regards,

Peter.

I just wanted to say how much I am enjoying this thread. I play a lot of classical music, but mostly on cello and recorder. Most of my concertina playing (Wheatstone Hayden Duet concertina) is traditional stuff, but I play some classical as well.

I'd also like to say that I think the photo that Juliette posted in the first post in this thread is a work of art. I'm tempted to say it could be the cover of a book or a movie poster, but it's too good for that.

I can't wait to hear your playing, Juliette. If you haven't yet figured out thow to post your recordings, attach them by e-mail (numerous acceptable formats, but mp3 probably makes the most sense) to Henk van Aalten. His e-mail address is his name spelled out without the spaces, "at" gmail dot com. He will put them up on his web page, http://www.anglo-concertina.net/links.htm.

To illustrate,

here's my daughter's last art project, that we uploaded there:

http://www.streamload.com/Mberenstein/BostonTeaParty

Hope you like it. Two days of production.

What format is it in? I downloaded the 13.6 MB file but could not open it in QuickTime or RealPlayer, bith of which support many formats.