Duet Concertina

Satch

I have a duet concertina but cannot find out what type it is, I have look at all the fingering systems as listed in concertina.net but have found no match. It has 25 buttons on the left hand and 30 buttons on the right

Which is a standard pairing for more than one system, e.g., both 55-button Cranes and Lachenal's 55-button Maccanns. Can you tell us more?

How many rows & columns in the button array? (Since concertina folks usually refer to a sequence of buttons in either direction as a "row", I'll suggest that for the purpose of this question "columns" run approximately parallel to the length of your fingers, while "rows" run approximately parallel to the long dimension of the bar that holds the hand strap, assuming it has one. Among other things, that probably means that the number of columns is the same in both hands, while the number of rows is not.)

The Crane/Triumph system is 5 columns across. The Maccann and its Chidley variant are 6 rows across. Various Pitt-Taylor designs are also 6 columns across, as is the special (possibly unique?) instrument which is the avatar of C.net member aeolina. The old Wheatstone "Double" is 4 columns across and looks a lot like the keyboard of the English, but not quite.

In addition to the number of columns, would you tell us whether the rows are straight, curved, or sort of zig zag, or some other arrangement? And if they're straight, are they parallel to the hand support bar, or at somewhat of an angle to it?

Also potentially useful, does it have a maker's label and/or serial number?

But if you could draw us a picture indicating the button array and which notes are where, that would be the most helpful.

I have a duet concertina but cannot find out what type it is, I have look at all the fingering systems as listed in concertina.net but have found no match. It has 25 buttons on the left hand and 30 buttons on the right

Which is a standard pairing for more than one system, e.g., both 55-button Cranes and Lachenal's 55-button Maccanns. Can you tell us more?

How many rows & columns in the button array? (Since concertina folks usually refer to a sequence of buttons in either direction as a "row", I'll suggest that for the purpose of this question "columns" run approximately parallel to the length of your fingers, while "rows" run approximately parallel to the long dimension of the bar that holds the hand strap, assuming it has one. Among other things, that probably means that the number of columns is the same in both hands, while the number of rows is not.)

The Crane/Triumph system is 5 columns across. The Maccann and its Chidley variant are 6 rows across. Various Pitt-Taylor designs are also 6 columns across, as is the special (possibly unique?) instrument which is the avatar of C.net member aeolina. The old Wheatstone "Double" is 4 columns across and looks a lot like the keyboard of the English, but not quite.

In addition to the number of columns, would you tell us whether the rows are straight, curved, or sort of zig zag, or some other arrangement? And if they're straight, are they parallel to the hand support bar, or at somewhat of an angle to it?

But if you could draw us a picture indicating the button array and which notes are where, that would be the most helpful.

More information on duet concertina, it is a Lachenal and the serial no is 941and also some photos

Please try again. I'm only seeing the top portion of one photo, and it looks like it won't show the button pattern even when complete.

More information on duet concertina, it is a Lachenal and the serial no is 941and also some photos

Please try again. I'm only seeing the top portion of one photo, and it looks like it won't show the button pattern even when complete.

Retrying sending photos

Here's a photo of Snatch's concertina:

post-85-1138744623_thumb.jpg

Well, the button layout looks like a standard 55-button Maccann. And it's a New Model design. In fact, with that serial number I think it must be quite an early example of New Model.

Now if the note layout doesn't match the standard for a 55-button Maccann, I'd be very curious what it is. I have a New Model Crane duet with some notes in odd places, but it's clear that some preivous owner moved them, because he mangled the reed pan to do it.

Well, the button layout looks like a standard 55-button Maccann. And it's a New Model design. In fact, with that serial number I think it must be quite an early example of New Model.

Now if the note layout doesn't match the standard for a 55-button Maccann, I'd be very curious what it is. I have a New Model Crane duet with some notes in odd places, but it's clear that some preivous owner moved them, because he mangled the reed pan to do it.

I would like to thank Richard Morse and Jim Lucas for the help and interest they have both shown in my quest to identify this instrument, and apoligise to all forum readers for the hamfisted way I have tried to send posts, but no doubt I shall learn, thanks Satch

I would like to thank Richard Morse and Jim Lucas for the help and interest they have both shown in my quest to identify this instrument, and apoligise to all forum readers for the hamfisted way I have tried to send posts, but no doubt I shall learn, thanks Satch