Scandinavian Squeeze-In 2014 Dates; Quick Decision Needed

Scandinavian Squeeze-In choices  

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Once again we have a conflict regarding dates and venue. So I need your help in making a decision, and quickly. And so the above poll (note that multiple answers are allowed on both questions)..

The problem is that the main house at the location we've used for the last 13 years is owned by the scouts, so scout groups have booking priority until the first of the year, and once again we've lost out to such a group for the weekend of our choice... April 25-27.

So we're faced with the following options:

• Try to book the second house at the same site for April 25-27. A good chance, though not guaranteed, and the facilities aren't as nice.
  • Try to arrange a completely different venue. I have a volunteer who thinks he could manage that in Linköping, though there are no beds in the building where we'd meet, so there are currently uncertainties regarding price and nearness of potential lodgings, as well as certain other details.
  • Book the main house for a different weekend, and hold the SSI then. For that I have the following options (note that I don't consider Easter weekend an option):
    • April 11-13
    • May 2-4
    • May 9-11

Each of these weekends could have potential conflicts, but so does April 25-27.* In any case, I'm asking for feedback from those who would consider attending this year's SSI before I make a final decision, but I have to make that decision within a few days at most. Please help.

* Potential conflicts: the conflicts I know of so far aren't for the actual dates, but that other important events occur on weekends immediately before or after these choices.

• April 25-27 - It's both the weekend after Easter and the weekend before May 1, which occurs on the following Thursday.
  • April 11-13 - This is the weekend before Easter. At least in Scandinavia the Easter weekend is one for travelling to be with family. Is two weekends "away" in a row too much?
  • May 2-4 - This starts the day after May 1, which is celebrated in various ways by various individuals. Too close?
  • May 9-11 - This is the weekend before the Swaledale Squeeze in North Yorkshire. Again, too close for those interested in both events (possibly even me)?

So if you're interested, please cast your votes to help me with my decision.

Edited by JimLucas

For anyone who might be wondering what this is all about, I recommend you look at our web site, and in particular at the What We Do link in the menu at its left.

Though not as big, the Scandinavian Squeeze-In was inspired by the American Northeast Squeeze-In, which I used to attend before moving to Denmark. Scandinavia is where it's held, not a restriction on who can join us. During the last 14 years we've had participants from Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Germany, the Netherlands, Poland, Russia, Switzerland, England, Scotland, Ireland, and even once from the United States. (Did I miss any?) The common language is English.

If you think you might be interested in joining us, and if the dates this year could affect your decision, please let us know by voting in the above poll. A final decision needs to be made by next Tuesday (January 15).

Once again we have a conflict regarding dates and venue. So I need your help in making a decision, and quickly. And so the above poll (note that multiple answers are allowed on both questions).

So if you're interested, please cast your votes to help me with my decision.

Thanks to those who responded. After considering all the feedback I received (not just here, but also in private emails), a decision has been made.

We'll hold this year's SSI on the originally planned dates(April 25-27), in the second house at Gamlegård, for which we now have a confirmed booking.

I've updated our website with this information and will now add it to the concertina.net Calendar and Public News & Announcements subForum, as well as announcing it elsewhere. And of course I'll be sending the official Invitation to those on the SSI email list.

The SSI is a very nice event, and in many ways definitely different from other event I attend the rest of the year. It's getting addictive I think, must be something in the water... ;)

I don't know that there's anything about the water, but maybe there's something "bewitching" about the nearby "Troll Forest"? ;)

I'm now sending out the official Invitation to those on my SSI e-mailing list, and you should get yours by tomorrow. But I've also placed a copy here on our web site, for anyone who might be interested.

For those interested, there's much more detail in the pages of our web site:

http://www.nonce.dk/SSI/

I've already entered this event in the concertina.net Calendar, and I should soon be posting a notice in the Public News & Announcements subForum, though the event isn't until the last weekend in April.