Elise Hayden concertina

Thanks to all for advice about the straps. I observe:

1. Avoid numbness. (I knew that, and I'm very careful about all that hand-ergo stuff, but good advice nevertheless.)

2. Suggestions from knowledgeable players range from "tight enough to hold your hands in place" to "about 1/2" of air under my hands". This tells me that there's no one right answer, and I am free to experiment. Great!

3. It might be that the hand rest is too low. I will experiment with that too. A higher rest would let me curve my fingers more.

Playing the beginner tunes in Wim's Tutor, tight and loose work about equally well. I've been learning John Kirkpatrick's tune "Shiner", which fits well on the instrument but ranges over the whole right-hand keyboard, and I definitely need more slack to play that.

Must practice now...

David Haimson

Thanks to all for advice about the straps. I observe:

2. Suggestions from knowledgeable players range from "tight enough to hold your hands in place" to "about 1/2" of air under my hands". This tells me that there's no one right answer, and I am free to experiment. Great!

David,

Just to round it all up, here's what "Crane's Concertina Tutor" has to say:

On Holding the Instrument

Place the four fingers of each hand in the straps as far as they will go. The thumbs should be outside the straps; the three middle fingers should be over the three middle rows of studs, and the little finger should be over the outside row. The student, in the first exercises, when he is using only the middle three rows, should have the straps fairly tight, and the little finger should rest on the instrument by the side (outside) of the last two studs of the outside row. This will help him to steady the instrument, and keep the fingers over their proper rows of studs. The strap should be let out and the little finger set free as soon as confidence is gained in fingering.

Note: The "home" position of the fingers over the three middle rows is Crane specific. The first exercises are in the key of C, and use only these rows, the outer rows being the sharps and flats.

The transferable gist is that tight straps give confidence in the early stages, but looser straps give more freedom when you move on to more difficult fingerings that require the fingers to spread over all five rows.

My experience of the Anglo and the Bandoneon is that loosening the straps after getting accustomed to having them tighter really gives me a sense of freedom, and makes my fingering more supple. Freedom - here as anywhere else - is something that you have to learn to deal with ;)

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

John

The transferable gist is that tight straps give confidence in the early stages, but looser straps give more freedom when you move on to more difficult fingerings that require the fingers to spread over all five rows.

So far, my experience matches your description perfectly. Thanks!

Another typo (as I work my way laboriously through the tutor): In the Exercise on page 20, in the last measure, the note in the left hand part probably wasn't supposed to be a B.

David Haimson

Edited by haimson

• 7 years later...