Dancing With Ma Baby

English Concertina players,

Just wondering if anyone else is working on the tunes in this book? I was (very slowly) playing Love's Old Sweet Song, and the harmonies are wonderful. I think it demonstrates perfectly just how beautiful the concertina can sound.

Anyway, I also find it difficult to play and wonder how hard other English players find it to be. The problem is getting it smoothly up to speed.

My other problem is that I haven't heard them. I know some of the melodies, but it sure would be nice to hear some of these arrangements played by a good concertina player.

bruce boysen

Yes, I got this book last year, and I can struggle through what the author refers to the "easy" pieces. Haven't tried the harder ones - some of the not combinations are still a stretch, especially to do at speed. But I do love the book. I have not heard anyone else play any of them though, although there was a couple people talking about the music at the Squeeze In last year.

Jay

I am working on some of them too. The tune "I've Got a Loverly Bunch of Coconuts" seems unusually suited to the concertina, and "Donau-Wellen"t just oozes along.

Some of the other arrangements are pretty tricky, but it's all good fun, and when you get it right, it's wonderful.

Peter Dyson

Bellingham WA

A great book, the music is well thought out. I am a little biased as I only play Old Time tunes. popular and light classics.Phil Hopkinson put a lot of work into the book and maybe it is time he produced a second one. Come on Phil come out of retirement and give it another go.

I've Got A Lovely Bunch Of Coconuts is one of my favorites too. Old Malabar is really good and is pretty easy. Dancing With Ma Baby (the tune, not the book) is another I've worked a lot on. The last part of it sounds great and is fun to play. I'm going to spend some time on Love's Old Sweet Song and mark the exact fingering I want to use. Without carefully working out the fingering I don't think this one would be possible to play smoothly.

I'd love to see another book too. Now that I have my Tenor concertina I'd like to get more arrangements that use the low end.

bruce boysen

yes, where do we go from here on arrangements for the English concertina? What other music is available? I ran across "Dancing with Ma Baby" by chance - are there other selectiosn like it out there?

Jay