gargling reed

One (and only one) of the reeds on my Jeffries has started making an unpleasant trilling noise. I've removed the reed shoe, cleaned it checked the slot and it sounds fine out of the instrument. When I reseat it and bolt it all back together the horrible noise is back. This note has always sounded weaker than the equivalent notes on other rows (this is the high Bb on the Bb row of a Bb/F box) say the one on the F row.

any ideas?

So, whilst I was waiting for other list members erudition to sort me out, I thought I'd swap the two Bb reeds and shoes around to try and eliminate a potential mechanical (non reed) cause. Strangely the result is that both reeds now sound fine and in a more balanced way than they did before. I'm clueless as to why it worked but happy it did!

So, whilst I was waiting for other list members erudition to sort me out, I thought I'd swap the two Bb reeds and shoes around to try and eliminate a potential mechanical (non reed) cause. Strangely the result is that both reeds now sound fine and in a more balanced way than they did before. I'm clueless as to why it worked but happy it did!

Gav,

Could be your reed shoes had a small variance in shape and the old Bb "liked" its new slot and the replacement one got along well enough in its new home. I suppose you might swap them back to their original positions and see if the problem returned!

Shoe to slot fit can be a touchy thing. It should be snug but not too tight. The dovetail needs to hold the bottom of the reed shoe firmly to make an airtight seal with the underlying vent.

The check list for gurgling and impinged reeds goes:

1. check fit in slot

2. clear reed of debris

3. check centering of reed in shoe

4. check valves

5. Check tongue clearance in vent

Glad things worked out for you and the Jeff.

Greg

A shot in the dark but this effect is sometimes caused by the reed shoe being a bit loose in the slot, perhaps the shoes fit better in the other slots or your fitted them more firmly. If it happens again try 'packing' the slot with a sliver of paper down the side of the shoe; this must only be at the top of the shoe near the clamp screws, any lower and you may distort the shoe slot causing the reed to foul the sides.

Blll Crossland sorted my duff reed out by slipping in a paper shim alongside the brass reed plate. It was a bit loose and wobbly. The reed seemed to suck itself in and and 'gurgle' - a bit like Gordon Brown's lower jaw when he does a complicated nose and throat gulping job the end of a long sentence, . It makes me and my partner gyp and could lose him an election. Can't a spin doctor teach him a few oral tricks?.

Gie 'im a shim Mandleson! We'd still rather see him than the old bum faced Etonian Cameron!