Is this a baritone?

This is a very pretty edeophone here on ebay

I guess it has enough buttons to satisfy the duet players (who always seem to want MORE buttons :-) )

From looking at its diameter against the button area, it seesm to a larger concertina then usual - though it's difficult to tell from the pictures and I don't htink the seller gives measurements.

Would this be a lower range instrument - or is the size necessary to hold all those reeds?

Chris

I guess it has enough buttons to satisfy the duet players (who always seem to want MORE buttons :-) )

From looking at its diameter against the button area, it seesm to a larger concertina then usual - though it's difficult to tell from the pictures and I don't htink the seller gives measurements.

Would this be a lower range instrument - or is the size necessary to hold all those reeds?

Chris

Mmmmmmmmmmmm How did that old TV advert go? oH Yes ...... "It's tasty, tasty, very, very tasty!"

If I stumbled on an instrument like that in a junk shop, it could even convince me to become a Duet player!

Cheers

Dick

Chris

The usual 72 goes down to F below the bass stave anyway; if you wanted to go lower you bought the 81 which goes down to the C 2 octaves below middle C. How much lower do you want to go? Baritone is not really a term a duet player needs.

The bass reeds get very large and are shoehorned in and set the size of the things.

I have heard of 2 smaller duets (one Crane, one Maccan) where the range was dropped an octave. There's a sort of logic there, it would allow a more manageable instrument, but if you're serious you use all the range, not just the bottom half anyway. I'm sure I'd have no use for one.

Chris

Mmmmmmmmmmmm How did that old TV advert go? oH Yes ...... "It's tasty, tasty, very, very tasty!"

If I stumbled on an instrument like that in a junk shop, it could even convince me to become a Duet player!

Cheers

Dick

And there's me thinking the Sally Army are giving them away! Well, at least in your neck of the woods, they seem to be, Dick!

Chris

And there's me thinking the Sally Army are giving them away! Well, at least in your neck of the woods, they seem to be, Dick!

Chris

Who knows Chris, they might be giving them away in your neck of the woods too ....... did you ever try asking them?

Remember, if you don't ask, you don't get! ;)

Cheers

Dick

I have heard of 2 smaller duets (one Crane, one Maccan) where the range was dropped an octave. There's a sort of logic there, it would allow a more manageable instrument ...

And I used to have a piccolo Maccann that was made for "Happy" Jack Clevoner, no doubt one of ""His Wonderful Family of Concertinas".

JackClevoner2.jpg

So not all duets are "trebles"...

Edited by Stephen Chambers

I have heard of 2 smaller duets (one Crane, one Maccan) where the range was dropped an octave. There's a sort of logic there, it would allow a more manageable instrument ...

And I used to have a piccolo Maccann that was made for "Happy" Jack Clevoner, no doubt one of ""His Wonderful Family of Concertinas".

JackClevoner2.jpg

So not all duets are "trebles"...

I don't care, that sounds a backward step too! You'll notice he felt he should be pictured with a proper duet. ..

(It seems to me that a high proportion of these old music hall stars used Lachenals; Is that so, Professor?)

Remember, if you don't ask, you don't get! ;)

I did ask, Dick. They said they were clean out of them and to come back next week. :(

Chris

In that case, I guess they're probably not going to be your salvation, after all! 6.gif

Cheers

Dick